Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Engine Mounting Rubbers

I bought some new engine mounting rubbers the other day. In the kit were some tubular sleeves - however there are no sleeves in the mounting holes at the moment. The engine bears the number M194413 which I believe dates it to about 1934.

1 Should there be?

2 If they should be present, is there a trick to getting them in as they seem to require a considerable compressing.

3 If they can be compressed sufficiently how does one then insert the bolt or front pin without pushing them out, as there seems to be insufficient clearance given the thickness of the rubber?

Many thanks.

Re: Engine Mounting Rubbers

Oh dear, sounds like I should have kept going with the 'tubes'. I cut a bit out of the side ti reduce the diameter so I could eventually get them to fit with the bolts - tight.

Sandy

Re: Re: Engine Mounting Rubbers

I used ruber mounts on a 3 bearing replacement engine on my "32 2 seater. The car sounded great but drove badly.
It did not handle well at all. I then replaced with the original 2 bearing engine no rubber and it handled much better.
I guess there were some changes to the chassis to allow for the rubber mounts as I noticed a big difference.

If it did not have rubber mounts then in my opinion dont add them

Pat

Re: Re: Engine Mounting Rubbers

Hi all,

There are actually two different sizes of the rubber tubes. The high frame rubber mount crank case had smaller holes than the later low frame crank cases.
See the previous posts about the two types of crank cases.

I am not sure that all the spares suppliers stock both sizes.

Regards

Rob

Re: Re: Re: Engine Mounting Rubbers

Many thanks to all who helped. The sleeves are now in place. The crankcase must have the smaller holes, it did have rubber mounts top and bottom but no sleeves. I removed a slight amount of rubber from each one by putting an old bolt through the hole in the sleeve mounting this in the drilling machine and used a file against the rotating sleeve. Trial and error to get a good fit. I also put a slight chamfer on one end.

Hugh.