Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gum in the fuel

I am having a problem here in America with gummie fuel. after a week the pump and carb are both not working correctly and both have sticking valves and so on. Do you guys in the UK or down under have similar problems or is this a USA phenomenon (Big word at this time of night here).
Is there some sort of additive I can use to help.

I cleaned out the petrol tank with a paint remover. Lots of stuff came out. I then put in more petrol and ran the engine for 2 hours but it still has the gum problem.
Is the problem the "Gasoline" here?
Any ideas

Appreciate any input.

Pat

Re: Gum in the fuel

Pat,
I've been running regular unleaded with 10% ethanol with no problems in my 33 RP Saloon in Texas. I did have water separation problems with 10% ethanol fuel in my old flathead inboard on my boat, and used Sta-Bil with some success. The problem, however, was not gum, but rust inside the cast iron carb caused by separated water and particles loosened from the gas tank by the action of the alcohol and water. Do you have an in-line fuel filter?

I should purchase one of the 'tank sealant' kits now available. The products properly clean the tank interior and then pour in and swirl around the sealent. Fantastic stuff, it is as good as fitting a new tank.
Might be worth pouring in 'Redex' to clear any old gum varnish from the carb.

Andrew McGlasson thought he should share his findings for cleaning sludge and goo from petrol tanks. He had at least 5mm on the bottom of the tank...

A product from Frosts www.frost.co.uk. called MARINE CLEAN worked exceptionally well.
It is sold in 1 US gallon quantities which was plenty for 3 rinses.
He mixed 1 litre with 3 litres of boiling water and left it for 3 days, agitating every time he passed the tank. He then rinsed it a few times with water before washing the water out with petrol and allowing to dry in the heat of the sun.

Thanks David
I will try it
Pat

My old BSA Gold Star had been stood unused for about eight months, it was running perfectly when put away for winter, but when I tried to run it this year it would start up OK but as soon as the throttle was cracked open it just died.
I took the carb off it and found the bottom of the float bowl and the end of the main jet were completely bunged up with a sort of green goo that could be scraped off but not washed off with clean petrol, I cleaned it in my ultrasonic tank using white spirit as the solution and thet got rid of it.
It must have been the petrol which had evaporated and left this stuff behind, but it has never happened before in the 25 years I have had it.

I can only assume that they have been messing around with the fuel chemistry yet again !!

Phil