Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Removing hub with damaged threads

The hub-puller threads of the left rear hub I'm trying to remove are so damaged that the hub puller won't go on (it looks almost like someone beat the threads smooth with a hammer!)

What's the safest alternate way to remove the hub?
Is there a die available in the appropriate thread size to try and re-cut the threads?

Many thanks in advance,
Threadbare in Texas

Re: Removing hub with damaged threads

David

Try a thread file. you will need an imperial one , but this shouldnt be a prob in USA!
It will be marked with the TPI on its faces and its design is such that 8 different TPI's are on it, so you should have one thats OK. File away till you can get the hub puller to bite on .

Steve

A die is available from Tracy Tools Ltd. in Devon England --Size 1 3/8 dia 16tpi cost (high ) 25 pounds. e mail Info@TracyTools.com
Ken Morton Vancouver Canada

Re: Re: Removing hub with damaged threads

David, Undo the nut until it is flush with the end of the end of the halfshaft, a sharp clout with a 2LB. Hammer will do the trick. There is enough clearance inside the diff to accommodate the movement. If you bought another hub from a scrap yard years ago that would be the ‘only’ way it was done. Find yourself a nice hub with a good thread and you will not have to resort to this again.

I agree with Ian and would only add that if you turn the nut around it gives you a greater surface are with which to "thump"!

Good luck

R

and if all else fails, weld the puller to the hub......

Re: Re: Removing hub with damaged threads

Having had the same problem I used a plate puller that clamped around the hub using two bolts that clamped the plated together and using a hydraulic puller it was removed easily. I tried to attached a link so you could see what style of puller I am referring to no avail.

If you are not familular with this type of clamp puller I will send you the link off line.

Hope this helps

Doug Baker
Scarborough
Western Australia

Re: Re: Re: Removing hub with damaged threads

Doug,
Please send the link to crodhull3@yahoo.com. All--thanks for all the advice!
David