Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Damage to Front Bearing Retaining Flange

Hi

I have just taken the sump and filter off a spare three bearing engine to look at the condition of the bottom end.

The photograph below shows the damage to the front bearing retaining flange. The retaining flange is complete over about 1/3 of its circumference - the rest is damaged.

Please could someone advise on whether the engine can be used with the flange in this condition, or will a strip down and repair be needed, even if everything else is in order?

Regards

Colin

Re: Damage to Front Bearing Retaining Flange

I would strip down and repair, you can see a third is damaged, likely that some 75% is in fact split, but unseen.

Sandy

Re: Re: Damage to Front Bearing Retaining Flange

I can repair this for you. See my website as above. Ian Dunford.

Hi Colin,
Most of us who have worked on seven engines have come across this one! Im'e sure that the rest of the flange will be cracked, if not then it's bound to let go sooner rather than later. Don't risk it, send it to Ian and have it done properly.

Hi

Thank you all for your quick response and advice.

Whilst it is bad news that the engine will have to be stripped down (I was hoping that this flange might not see any significant loading in operation), it is gratifying to know a sound and permanent engineering fix is available, allowing the crankcase to be saved.

Regards

Colin