Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Instrument bezels

I have a small problem to resolve with an instrument similar to ebay item 150129560325. If you have a look at that, you will see it's a 'small' speedo required to fit in a larger 'binnacle' on the dash. I need to source the flanged bezel as is being sold as part of this ebay lot (one of the other photos shows this) - Q. Anyone know where I might source a bezel or what might be a suitable donor? cheers!

Re: Instrument bezels

Hi Hugh,

I'm not sure of the diameter of the speedo / bezel shown on ebay, but this type of flanged bezel together with its mazak bodied speedo was fitted to early Bullnose Morris's of the 1920's. There's an excellent club catering for these vehicles www.bullnose.org.uk They're a popular vintage car, so spare speedo's mightn't be too difficult to source. The bodies of these speedo's, being mazak sometimes disintegrate, so there's probably many more bezel's around than speedo heads.
I'm also reasonably certain that some second world war military vehicles had these same, by then rather antiquated speedo's and bezels, the AEC Matador 4 x 4 gun tractors spring to mind - there's still quite a few of these around used as recovery vehicles, timber tractors etc, they're frequently seen on the vintage commercial vehicle rally circuit. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEC_Matador

Jeff.

Hugh

It just so happens that I have a complete and fully functional (if a little crusty) speedo of the same type, but with 4 screw flange fixing you want. (with an identical mazak casting to the one on e-bay.)

I was given it as my Smiths PA in the seven is noisyer than the gearbox.

It is not for sale, but I would swap for the pattern I need with cash either way.

I can post a photo if required. From where this one came from (a well known narrow gague railway) it may have come off one of a well known VSCC member and author's Alvis's. but then again it may not have.

Hedd - you have my interest! We may be able to mutually resolve each others problem - could you mail me direct? ta...