Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lights Failed.....

Having spent many hours rebuilding the rear axle I finaly got it back in and the car running again last night. The first problem to crack is that something must have moved and the previously well adjusted rear are now not.... Does anybody have a picture of what angle the brake leavers on rears should be at?

The next problem is that the second time I truned the lights on, the didnt work! First time was fine, fiddled with the brakes a bit and nothing.

It was to late by now to start electrical diagnosis (the engine was running OK, and the charging light would go out). Is there anything really obvious, or devious that I should look for? Does anybody have a wiring diagram - 1931 (probably) ulster rep. Lucas dynamo with the resiter on top. What I think is an SM5? Summer and winter on the left, Off L H on the right, in a round unit with the Ampmeter at the top and the chrge light at the bottom.

Thanks!

Peter

Re: Lights Failed.....

Hopefully other more learned friends will concur but::

1. Brake levers. The cams are 'handed' (left and right) if fitted to the correct side, the levers will hang DOWNWARDS more or less vertically with brakes off. Also the balljoint should be on the inside (facing the backplate)

1. SM5. Consider giving a thorough clean so all brassware is gleaming bright and that moving contacts make properly in each switch position (IGN and Lights)otherwise you have a source of voltage drop or no voltage at all! Next, examine the back of the unit and check the 2 metal strips that provide the feed to each swivel base plate. Check for continuity as I have found one of them brocken in the past but this can be fixed by bridging or resoldering

Hope this helps

May I support Norman on his suggestion that you give the Switch panel a "spring clean" I had only recently a Gremlin in an Rn switch panel. I stripped it an cleaned the switch components with a weak Aluminium wheel cleaner. Neutralized it and sprayed it with silicon spray. No further problems. Another good cleaner is Cillit Bang!

Thanks for the advise. It was the switch panel. It was very clean behind. At some time in the past it has had a solder repair to the track.

The problem was a bad electrical conenction between the Nut the connects to the track and the thread on the back of the switch. Took the nut off, cleaned up the thread and tightened and all is OK now!