Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering Worm Wheel

Trying to remove a stubborn worm wheel in order to reposition an unworn section on the keyway. Can anyone advise if it is a straight fit or a taper fit before I start getting brutal?

(Car is 1931 RL)

Thanks in anticipation

Re: Steering Worm Wheel

David,

The wheel is a taper fit on the shaft, a good sharp tap should do it!

Regards

Rob

Thanks Rob. I shall start looking for my biggest hammer!

Re: Re: Steering Worm Wheel

No don't use a hammer. You won't find a safe place to hit. It needs a very strong three legged puller. A hydraulic one would be best. The wheel is usually on very tight. Be prepared for it to fly when the taper is broken!
Ron

If you need a ‘big’ hammer to fix your Austin or any other type of car for that matter your not doing it right.

I made up a jig for this job out of heavy box section with a circle cut out of it, this acted as a holder for the gear whilst I used a press onto the top of the tapered shaft. Some can be very, very tight, I would echo the concerns over using a hammer on this....

Good luck

Ruairidh

I was only joking chaps! I have a 3 legged gear puller but from my initial attempts I think a little local heat might also be required

Over the past few months, I've been doing some odd jobs here and there, Austin related. One of the jobs, for instance, was to refurbish a semi-girling brake cross-shaft. As you can probably imagine, most of the arms were well and truly set on the shaft. I am lucky to have a pal who has invested in a ten-ton hydraulic press by Sealey which handled this job, and others that in the past might have been problematic, with ease. As suggested, the addition of a little heat always helps.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=29081&MAN=Sealey-Hydraulic-Press-10ton-Bench-Type though my pal shopped around and got it for about £160.

Since then, I have use no other...

Hugh

Did you manage to get any bushes of the right size or did you make some out of strip brass as I had to?

Steve

Hugh, re. the Sealy 10 Ton press,

Steve Baldwin in Cornwall Club bought one and it's one of his best investments to date for work on his A7.

Sandy

I think I shall have to resort to one myself as it is on VERY tight and beyond the scope of my puller and local heat.