Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Solex 30 MOV carb settings

Hi all,

I have managed to find one of these carbs to have a go with on my ulster replica, it was filthy but i have managed to get it all to bits now.

Can anybody tell me if the replacement throttle spindles and jets are available and where to get them? If not i will be making some.

Can anybody in the know give me some idea of where to start with jet sizes or who to ask on the subject? I have no idea what the carb was originally fitted to but as it came from south france i doubt it was an ulster!

While on the subject if anybody can post/email pictures of the ulster inlet manifold so i can make one that would be very useful.

The carb came with the remnants of an air filter attachment which i will rebuild by guess work as a period looking accessory, i have found a K&N filter element that is the appropriate size and looks just like the original one on my dads austin 20!

Regards

Rob

Re: Solex 30 MOV carb settings

Rob - for the Solex 30MOV on an unblown Ulster try Choke tube 23, Main jet 110x41, Compensating jet 50-55, Slow-run jet 50, 48 gramme float, 5 jet cap. Yours could be off any make of car, could even be from an Alvis 12-50. Good Luck, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Solex 30 MOV carb settings

Bill,

Unless the parts are available somewhere (any ideas anyone?) i will be needing to make them, how do the numbers relate to the jet sizes? Im guessing they are the same as zeniths in that eg 50 - 0.50mm. What does the 110x41 relate to on the main jet? (im guessing its the size of the hole in the bottom and the holes up the sides) (i have 110x50 from memory).

I had not appreciated that the petrol level in the bowl would be adjusted by the weight of the float as there was a stack of washers under the needle valve to achieve this on the carb when i took it appart. (probably a bodge)

Mine has a 22 (not sure how the number relates to the dimensions) choke tube, cant remember the other numbers off the top of my head. The choke mechanism on it is different to others i have seen in that the choke spindle is vertical and the inlet of the carb has a flange for an air filter to fit to.

Here is a picture as recieved. The remnants of the air filter were quite bent.

Its always fun playing with new toys!!!

Regards

Rob