Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Oil leak from front hub!

Ok. Here is today's silly question. I have what looks like an oil leak from the front hub. There is enough of it to drop onto the wheel.

I am sure there is not any oil in the hub, and it is more likely to be Grease melting, but disconcerting any way. Also effecting the braking.

I pulled the wheel and drum off quickly the other night and cleaned it all out. It was OK afterwards, but when I cam back to it 2 days later it was again covered, and the brake inefficient.

Before I start dismanteling, any suggestions for areas to pay particular attention?

Thanks

Re: Oil leak from front hub!

I may be way off beam here, but I have known (very) old grease separate out in storage into a heavy grease and oil, something like SAE 90, floating on top. I suppose this could happen in service if the grease is not stirred enough in use. Certainly most of the grease in a hub never moves unless it gets so hot as to melt.

I would dismantle, wash the bearings out and repack with high melting point grease.

What sort of seals are you using? The modern lip seals are very good provided they are run on a near perfect track as regards both size and freedom from wear ridges. The original felts are far more forgiving. Providing the hubs are not overfilled the seals don't have a lot to do and leaks are far more likely from the joint between the two hub halves.

This of course is my opinion, others will no doubt tell me I'm talking round objects

Martin