Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin 7 Special Reg No CLU266

Austin Seven Special

Registration Number CLU 266

I was wondering if any one help me? My father (Philip Wreford) built an A7 Special in the fifties while an aero engine apprentice at Filton with Bristol. I am trying to find out for him if any body knows if it still exists or if they can fill in any of its history after he sold it through his fathers garage at Biddisham in Somerset. I include a small history of it written by him that includes many identifiable features and the registration number. I have some photographs of the car, if any body wants to see them I can pass them on if you let me know an e-mail address.

Neal Wreford

Austin Seven Special

Registration Number CLU 266

This special was built by a friend and myself in 1957/1958 and was based on a 1936 Austin Seven Ruby. All the work was done in my father's garage 'Biddisham Motor Co. Ltd' on the A.38 near Axbridge in Somerset.

The original body was removed entirely and thrown away A tubular steel space frame was built onto to the original rolling chassis and aluminium panels were formed and riveted to the space frame to create the bodywork.
The windscreen was built up using the brass channelling from an old Morris opening style windscreen and new safety glass. The windscreen supports were crafted from steel plate and were fitted with Perspex quarter lights. A collapsible frame was built for the canvas hood which was manufactured specially by a bodywork company in Weston-super-Mare. The new body had no doors. One climbed over the side for entry. Side screens hinged from the rear of the windscreen supports for weather protection. The fuel tank was mounted high in the boot space behind the two seats. The spare wheel was stored in the boot, which was quite large and could carry considerable amounts of luggage. The bonnet was front hinged for safety reasons whilst the boot lid was side hinged. Both bonnet and boot lids were secured by flush mounted geometric lock catches. Motorcycle style mudguards covered all four wheels, the front guards had fill in panels across to the body for anti-splash. The headlamps were mounted on the side of the bodywork above the front mudguards. A single spot lamp was later fitted in the radiator intake.
A brand new Lucas windscreen wiper system was fitted using the then new cable rack and pinion drive system. The original Austin Seven seats, which were leather, were fitted together with Axminster carpet (ex-Lloyds Bank, Exeter) on the floor. The dash panel was solid mahogany with a glorious French polish finish.

The special was coloured bright Canary Yellow and the hood and side screens were black canvas.

Several significant alterations were made to basic mechanics of the rolling chassis; the front brakes were modified by a bowden style conversion, which dramatically improved braking performance. The radiator was dropped 6 inches from its original position to provide a lower bonnet line. Despite being only thermo-syphon cooling with no water pump the engine ran quite happily at a constant 99 deg. C. cylinder head temperature. The spherical mounting at the front end of the rear differential anti-torque tube was lowered by 3 inches to give a flat cockpit floor. The original gear lever assembly was removed and replaced by a specially built remote gear shift mechanism of my own design which was very successful but reversed all the gear lever positions, ie 1st and 3rd gears were selected rearwards whilst 2nd, 4th and reverse gears were selected forwards.

The special was driven for several years before being sold for me by my father, Mr. R. C. Wreford, from his business 'Biddisham Motor Co. Ltd, probably around 1962.