Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
MoT weights

Hello All
It's time for my new MoT! I think all is well and hopefully my brakes should stand the test. But I do recall a thread some while ago that suggested that one should go to the MoT station equipped with the weight of ones car. Can any one tell me the weight I should quote for a 1937 Pearl Mk 2?
Many thanks
Peter

Re: MoT weights

Approx 2cwt (around about 600kg)

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Ruairidh

Hi Peter

I think I brought this up a while ago.

Basically if you use the rolling road you will get results for braking force in kilograms. The inspector inputs these figures into the computer and your cars weight to calculate the braking efficiency.

IF YOU GIVE THE WRONG WEIGHT YOU MAY FAIL INCORRECTLY.
The weight is a vital part of the calculation and people have suggested visiting the local weighbridge or using the figures from the source book.

The other way is to do as most people do and use the good old Tapley meter, which DOES NOT NEED THE WEIGHT of the vehicle.

I must stress that there is no problem to be worried about here and whatever method used our cars should be capable of meeting the legal requirements. The main concern with giving the wrong weight is that you may fail incorrectly and be issued with a fail when you would have passed had you given the correct weight. .

Steve

Many thanks, Ruairidh and Steve, for info.
Peter

Peter,

my message should have read 12cwt not 2!! The kgs are correct.

Cheers

R

Steve is correct in saying that the weight is a vital part of the calculation. But the only concern with giving the wrong weight is if you give a weight that is heavier than the actual weight of the car. A lighter weight will improve the apparent braking performance.

David

Re: Re: MoT weights

Yes, sorry David I should have made that clear!

Steve.

Peter, If you scroll back through the pages to a post by Steve Martin. It is called "Weights again" and was posted march 24th this year. you will have a mass of information about this subject

Evening all
Many thanks for info. I actually passed the MoT today, or should I say the Pearl did! She went on the rolling road and I was asked the weight; I gave it as Ruairidh had suggested 600g, and bingo, she passed. So again, many thanks.
Peter

Re: Re: Re: MoT weights

Sorry! Should have read '600kg' in previous message
Peter

Good stuff Peter...

Cheers

Ruairidh

Hi
Glad your pearl passed ok, just one note for next year you may wish to note.
Due to the possible damage caused to wire wheels by using a rolling road brake tester you are within your rights to ask the tester not to use the rolling road and ask him to use the old faithfull tapley meter. Any problems ask the tester to refer to the testers manual.
Cheers

Hi Neil

What sort of damage is likely to be caused to the wheels? This crops up from time to time and usually contributors to the forum have very polarised veiws i.e they are either strongly for or against the rolling road!! .

I have thought long and hard about this over the last couple of years of ownership and I couldnt think of a reason not to use the rollers (apart from the weight issue we are discussing). The forces acting on the vehicle suspension components whilst stationary on the rolling road would surely be less than when the "momentum or inertia" forces are present whilst moving on the road? I can see that there are two tyre contact patches on the rollers which may have an effect of somekind? Is the brake force acting on the wheels different when on the rolling road to that found when braking on a real road? .

I have been told that due to the above mentioned weight issue you are within your rights to ask for the Tapley so I would agree with Neil about this .
I personally may use the Tapley nexy time because I dont know the weight of the special yet! .

Steve