Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What was Beaulieu like ?

What was the National like at Beaulieu today ? I couldn't get along this year.

Re: What was Beaulieu like ?

Mike should have been going, so we will await his report...

Sandy

Re: Re: What was Beaulieu like ?

Beaulieu was great
A very wet run down but it did not rain on site all day and ended with sunshine. The Rally field was waterlogged so we all had to cram ourselves onto the arena hard standing. Lots of interesting cars including an Aero engined special and the 3 cylinder 2 stroke Chummy featured in the Grey Mag which had to be heard to be believed!!!
Cheers
Gordon

Just back from Beaulieu and finally got dry for the first time in 48 hours! Great crowd and a good turn out of cars given that it was blowing a gale with horizontal rain all last night and first thing this morning. All thanks for Mike Griffith and the team for organising a really enjoyable gathering.

Well Sandy, I don’t know about a report, and in any case Gordon has beaten me to it with his own excellent words.

Highlights for me were firstly that at nine-thirty we changed our minds and decided to brave the weather, it had been tipping it down since daybreak but eased off around then. I think we ran around the back edge of the clouds on the way down through Romsey, and it was fine for the rest of the day; not a drop all day at the museum.

On arrival we found that we were all on the barrack square this year – as the rally field was waterlogged. There were mixed views on this.

The gem of the day for me was Mike Williams’ 3 cylinder Blackburn engined special. He has not only produced a very useful sprint car, whilst overcoming a number of difficult technical challenges, he has captured the whole ethos of special building from the pre-war era. I could almost hear Bloody Mary stretching her muscles the other side of the wall in the museum and wanting to come out to join in the fun. John Bolster would have loved it.

Tom Hamblin’s immaculate Cadet was also a joy to me. How I lusted after one of these back in the fifties whilst doing National service in Germany. I even had pictures of them stuck on the wall by my bed!

For you delectation I have included engine room pictures of a couple of other splendid performance offerings. David Howe’s Works TT Ulster, and John Hunt’s Rochdale “Sacre Bleu”.

A mass exodus started around three o’clock, no doubt due to people not wanting to trust the weather for some long trips home. I think a vote of thanks goes to the organisers for pulling the fat from the fire and moving the whole event onto the hard standing at the last moment.

And, yes Sandy, a copy of the programme is winging it’s way to you so that you can check up on us all! A public thank you to you also for the work which you put in on the register.

And finally, whilst handing out the ‘buckets’, a big one to Mac and Jason for the Forum which is fast approaching six thousand postings.

Mike

The pics ....
A general view of the rally
Hamlyn Cadet
'Sacre Bleu'
TT Ulster
Blackburn

Perspectives were very different on the tarmac

http://i
172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/Pearl_1936/beaulieu07.jpg

Re: Re: Re: What was Beaulieu like ?

They are indeed.

- but I was not brave enough to climb onto the top of the plastic boxes. It was all a bit point and shoot

I like yours best - good pic which gives the taste of the day.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: What was Beaulieu like ?

We really enjoyed the day it went very quickly seemed to ba a day centred around people rather tan cars ,with the exception of Dave Williams's Austin Blackburn.wonderful to look at and great to drive ,sheer brilliance

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What was Beaulieu like ?

My sincere apologies to Dave Williams. I was so overcome with his splendid engineering that I called him Mike in my piece yesterday.

Sorry Dave.

Mike

Is a good, honest Austin Seven as designed by messers Austin and Edge so boring that they don't get a mention ? It would appear that only 'specials' were of interest at Beaulieu.

Maybe the steam powered Austin Seven will make it's appearance one year !

Malcolm,

I am very sorry that I have offended you by pointing to some of the competition cars displayed at Beaulieu yesterday. I did however preface my comments with the fact that I was not writing a report, but only expressing my personal highlights.

Indeed Beaulieu is, as you so correctly point out, a festival of Austin Seven, but I seem to remember that Herbert was not averse to entering the odd competition car in his day. Thus to mention the competitive vehicles does not, to me, seem out of place.

Perhaps you would care to pen us a few lines on some of the many excellent standard road vehicles which were present, in order to maintain the balance.

Since the subject has been raised, I seem to remember that someone did once install a small steam plant in a Seven - has anyone got a reference on it.

Mike

About ten years ago Tony Hillyard bought Kevin Martins surplus to requirements RTC chummy body and started to install a flash boiler and some sort of high performance steam engine. I went to see it about half way through construction. I glad to say that I didn't witness it being fired up. Tony emigrated to S. France and I've lost contact. The car was sold, where is it now?

Mike,

Sadly I am not in a position to write anything about Beaulieu as I was attending an event in Cornwall on that same day. No doubt there were many 'normal' Austin Sevens on display ' just like the one my father had ! ' as we so often hear. As a non attendee I was just musing that only the modified seemed worthy of a mention! It does not offend me, just makes me a little sad but then that is just me!

As to the steam powered A7 there is one in existence call 'The Bug'. It belongs to a chap somewhere in the east of the country and was first constructed during the war as a way around the petrol restrictions. It came down to a steam event in Cornwall some 5 or so years ago and I have some photographs and some video of it. It looks more like a pick-up truck than a car but can do a respectable 40+mph on the road. It is fuelled by coal although I understand that during the war years it may well have been fuelled by sawdust.

Now if we had just the everyday car pictures, I would have missed that lovely top water manifold on the TT Ulster, that would have help my water jacket flow.

I know where Malcom's coming from, but dare I say it!!!..... NO.

Sandy

Mike - Prog arrived Tuesday morning, many thanks.

Sandy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What was Beaulieu like ?

Thanks for your comments, glad you liked the result of many hours leaning on the Rayburne at work trying to figure how to unite this glorious piece of aviation history with an A7
Best thing I ever got on E-Bay!

Steam Powered A7s

Just to add a bit more to the subject of steam powered A7s, which I've just noticed as an aside in the thread 'What was Beaulieu Like', in the mid eighties I had a distant neighbour in Dorset, one Nick Spiers.

Nick was a professional mechanical engineer with a workshop to die for and as eccentric as they come. He built a flash steam A7, I saw the boiler installed in the chassis of a box saloon in his garden in Dorset.

At that time I had already discovered girls and was moving out of A7s. Unfortunately, when I went to visit him about five years ago, I was told that both he and his wife had died of cancer in the mid nineties and nobody knew what had become of his car(s). So there's maybe more than one around!

Sorry to hear what happened to Nick.
I bought many new spares from him in the late 80's and early 90's - I believe they originated from the defunct Bristol Austin Seven Centre.