Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Remove Chrome

Any clever means of removing chrome plate on a small AA badge? (apart from rubbing it off!!!!) Maybe some kind of dip.

Re: Remove Chrome

Ian
Take it to a chromers and they will strip it off.

One can remove chrome using hydrochloric acid sometimes called Muriatic acid BUT the chrome is not nice stuff and and cannot be easily gotten rid of legally.

The best way as suggested is to take it to a plating outfit.

Pat

Re: Re: Remove Chrome

Just as a matter of interest, I got the chrome removed from an old RAC badge so I could use it with a polished brass finish, I took it to the platers and they de-chromed it while I waited in just a few minutes.

Phil

Re: Re: Remove Chrome

Ian
Whilst researching the earlier topic on rust removal I found several sites of interest and the DIY stripping of chrome was not recomended, as stated there are some nasty problems which could affect health etc.
On saying that household bleach has lifted chrome on my bathroom fittings .

Steve

Ian,

FROST do a 'Plate Stripping Kit' which apparently includes everything to make up a 10 litre electrolytic stripping tank - ref: C250, they say it strips chrome, nickel, zinc and rust from iron, steel, copper, zinc and brass and claim it's quick and safe to use. I haven't tried it, a bit expensive perhaps at £89·00p (2006 catalogue). See www.frost.co.uk

Jeff