Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Long term project

Whilst I accept I have more than enough on my plate at the moment, I am still dreaming about the next project for the future!
The wife doesnt really approve of The Colander (my special) and hasn't always been keen to go out in it! She likes a roof and more upright and comfortable seats!

I like The Colander and have great fun in it, but I do miss having a project on the go in the garage. I would also one day like to apply some of the knowledge I have gained from the body building and development with the Colander on a second car to maybe eventually give me two austins to play around with?.

So here goes.....

I like the wood construction.
I like the idea of slightly more weather proofing.
I like the "Gordon England" principles detailed in the Source Book.
I also like commercial vehicles (which I use at work).

How about a van or even a pick up style special?
I wouldnt want to build a replica, just say a more practical special! I couldnt go as far as the Gardner six wheeler in the source book , but you get the idea.

A seperate structural floorpan with integral seat boxes etc with the dash and steering column all included with a very light and non structural body on top built on a light ash frame skinned with the 1/16 3 ply used for the Colander? a van back or even a frame/rails supporting a "butt" would be acheivable? I was thinking maybe the sort of size that would hold something say the size of a washing machine?

I have probably overdosed on single malt, but does anyone have any opinions ,good or bad on my dreaming?

Steve

Re: Long term project

First congrats on the new one.... now with night feeds, teething etc and allowing the good lady to get some sleep, you will have plenty of 'wake' time to sketch and ponder your new project, could be a year at least.... so don't rush into anything - will it be ready for Goodwood next year?

Good luck. Sandy

Re: Re: Long term project

First, congratulations on the new addition Steve. Our youngest was 29 last Wednesday so it's all a bit in the distant past for me.

You are, however, continuing a well worn line when considering your next Seven. Pete Wheeler in Lincolnshire built a Pick Up Special a fair few years ago and, of all his Sevens, it's the most useful and the most used. A friend, locally, had, for many years, an Austin 20 Pick Up. He had many vintage cars both exotic and mundane but his Pick Up was the most used and his favorite over all the others. Sadly, he died a couple of years ago but his last journey to and from the funeral was in his Pick Up.

Go for it!!

STEVE

Steve, what about something along the lines of the Wallis Special - go to http://www.ca7vcc.co.uk/images/wallis-a7-spec.jpg
for an idea.

Further details on the Cambridge Clubs web site www.ca7vcc.co.uk

Sandy

Now thats what I call a car Sandy!

Being a family man now ,I think compromise is the order of the day, so something practical is required!

I am quite serious about this next project, although time and money will dictate progress! And of course the Colander has a few jobs lined up which I have been planning for a while.

A source of local seasoned ash has been located which has been noted down for the future and I am in possesion of a bonnet.

I think that over the next few months I will try to "borrow" someones spare ruby chassis to get some real time measurements and maybe knock up a few protoype sections from the cheap ply and timber I have lying around the garage. I can then spend my sleepless nights drawing up some more accurate plans to proceed.
Surely someone in the Cornwall club must have a spare chassis in the shed thats not being used just yet I could borrow? Looks like some begging letters will have to go out .
As we speak I am modifying a picture of the box saloon that was on ebay recently to add a pick up/flat bed rear section using a paint package on the pc to gauge what it might look like?

Steve

I like pick ups, indeed I have one (albeit not an A7).
I think the main snag with a 7 version is finding enough length to make the pickup bed worthy of the name. Pete Wheeler's car that Steve refers to is a brilliant concept but the "truckbed" is more of a large boot....I have seen the odd "estate car" on A7 chassis before now, but glass does put the weight up.

Keep us informed - I'm sure you will!

Regards, Stuart

Steve, there are pre-Ruby (high Frame) LWB chassis's in Cornwall, Steve Baldwin has a collection! however I'm not sure about post '34 ones. I would contact Andrew or Malcolm first.......

I have been thinking of either a A7 Tractor or A7 Ute for the village activities I get into, mainly to carry my toolboxes etc on as I go around the village, and be small enough to avoid the silly visitors cars that seem to get in the way during holiday times, AND of course zero tax and low insurance + perhaps a little bit of showing off!!!

Sandy

Sandy

I will be putting out some feelers in the club some time to see who has what. I've heard about the other Steve's collection of chassis that were not up to his high standards!!
Your suggestion of a ute/pickup for toolbox/handyman jobs etc is exactly what I am thinking of. Many times recently I have had to move an item that is slightly to big for the boot opening of my Citreon but not large enough to warrant the use of a Transit van.
I do use the Colander for shopping , but I use the passenger seat to hold the bags so it is a solo job!

Thanks for all the feedback.
Given the enthusiasm of contributors I think I will carry on as I am with the project, which of course is going to be a long term one!

Steve

Steve,
May I add my congratulations to both you and your wife on the addition to your family, I think for the sake of the ladies you ought to put the offspring's statistics on the forum. I trust mother and child are doing well ?

I think your new project is going to be long term simply because legally children under 3 do not fit in a car without proper seat restraints. Shame on them, don't they know that in the first three years a chils learns much of what it needs in later life!

Well done and I look forward to seeing your next creation.

Hi Steve
Have a look at Brightwells auction of July 11th lot 29 , which is an Austin Pickup estimate £7 to £9k. From the photos I think you would enjoy making a similar project .
Regards , Mac .