Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tachometer on early seven

I would like to install a period correct tach onour car, a ´27 with magneto.
Which possibilities for a drive would there be - are there any drives available from specialits ?
The Austin will be mainly used for hillclimbs/racing, so that type of instrument would be rather helpful, I guess..

Thank you for any help.

Regards from Germany,
Ralf

Re: Tachometer on early seven

Ralf, a friend of mine had an original GE Brooklands engine, the only one I've ever seen. It had a really nice little casting for a tacho drive that fitted over the end of the camshaft, mounted on the front plate of the timing chest.

Dave Dye has produced a similar concept for me on some coil nosepieces, but there he mounted a motor cycle type rev counter gearbox, obtained from Gagg and Sons, well known motorcycle spares suppliers in Nottingham. Available in 2:1 and 4:1. One needs to produce a modified camshaft nut with a slotted drive in it to make it work. Hope the picture gives you the idea.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Tachometer on early seven

Stuart, thank you again for your help.
Seems to be a job for winterdays, but I guess I will follow this route.

Regards,
Ralf

PS Do you have - incidentially - any pictures of the GE engine ?

No - but I really should ask if he still has it and take some pictures. If I do, I will make sure I get one of the tacho. drive!

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Tachometer on early seven

Theres a photo on page 9 of Martin Eyre's book Austin Seven Competition Cars 1922-1982 which shows the rev counter drive on a GE Brooklands engine

Stuart - a good idea, I would be very interested to see it.
Unfortunately I do not have the this book - seems that I need to look out for it - thank you for the info, David.

Regards,
Ralf

Oh, Stuart, by the way - if your friend wants to sell the engine...

Regards,
Ralf

Sorry for digging this thread out again - I have got another question : which type of rev counter should I look for, would a chronometric motorcycle type make sense ? Would, of course be a bit too modern, though.

Regards,
Ralf

speak to Steve Hodgeson. he makes up period Revcounters .07813117474

Thank you, mac, I will give him a call.

Regards,
Ralf