Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bosch Distributor

Mick at the Severn workshop persuaded me to buy on of these new-fangled german things where you lot had so far failed!. Anyway, now its sat here in front of me.

What points gap should I set when I fit it tommorrow?

I run 6V and a standard austin head (low compression?)

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Bosch Distributor

Points gap is 12 thou.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Nick

Re: Re: Bosch Distributor

Fitted, doesnt look too bad.

Runs nice and smooth, but still pinks at high revs! Curses.

Any ideas?, I got rid of the soot that was there while the head was off. Timed it just so it doesnt kick on the handle, (and it rumbles less with the new dizzy). and dont want to retard any more if I do it gets gutless.

The carb spindle is loose mind, but I dont see this would make it that lean to pink.

Would a additive help, I think boosting the octane is a bitt OTT, but after all a lead substitute should also reduce the chance of pinking shouldnt it?

I had the pinking issue as well after fitting the Bosch but found the cure by altering the timing - turning the dizzy clockwise when viewed from above. If you don't adjust the slow running screw at the same time you will find the engine will stall but a bit of careful balancing between slow running and timing should have the desired effect. I just did a 60 mile trip this evening and there wasn't a trace of pinking even when pulling from low revs up a steep hill.

Hedd

Timing on my engine was set with a strobe to give 25° BTDC maximum advance which occurs at about 2500 rpm, that setting resulted in a fully retarded setting of about 7 or 8° BTDC at tickover which is about 600 rpm on my car.

I have had no pinking at all and it seems to be running better than ever before.

Phil

Many thanks guys, I'll have a fiddle once I've fixed the fuel tank on my AMANCO.