Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mystery Oil Leak

Came back from a 25 mile run today in the Chummy, within 10 minutes of stopping I had an oil leak from the back axle breather about a four inch patch. I haven’t topped up or done any work on the axle for years and cannot think of anything that could make this happen all of a sudden. I run on SAE 140 , the level is still fine, the breather is pointing upwards with a one inch rubber extension as it has been for the last 25 years. Any ideas?

Re: Mystery Oil Leak

will oil froth after it is old??and go out of the tube??

Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

No Hayden - its only old blokes who do that.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

you one then???

Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Ian try changing the oil !
chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

You'd better believe it!

Mike

Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Never even considered that Chris, my SAE 140 may only be a 90 so may be thin enough to come out of the breather. Will change it, I wonder if a little grease mixed with the new oil would be a good idea?

Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Morris oil do a sae 140 thick oil go back to April thread you will get this type of oil farm type places

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Ian use 140 and ONLY PUT 300ML into the diff, NO MORE!
this is more than enough and it will prevent leaks to brake shoes etc I have just travelled peking to paris with 300ml in axle so its ok!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

My handbook doesn't mention 300 ml. If I were you Ian, I would put in 7/8 ths of a pint

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Thanks for all your input fellows; I have just changed the oil with SAE 140. My usual level is to take out the banjo bolt that is at 20 to 12 when viewed from the off side, and fill until the oil exudes from the hole. This gives a level that just touches the bottom of the diff carrier. Will give it a run tomorrow and see if the problem is cured. What an achievement Chris, I followed your trip with great interest and some jealously to be quite honest, I don’t have the courage to attempt something like that. Can there ever be another car that could take the challenges that are thrown at it? they just keep on going. Quite remarkable!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Just been out on a run,new oil same level as before (Just over half a pint)and all seems to be well.Dry as a bone.Could Hayden be right??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Ian as a matter of interest, half a pint equals 284cc very close to the 300cc suggested by Chris. regards, Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

For what it is worth, and to have my three penny-worth.....

I changed the oil in my axle very recently. For convenience, and to cure a leak, I removed the square cover plate which carries the filler plug. Filling through the larger aperture is much easier than through the plug hole. It is also possible to use ones (clean) finger as a dipstick!

I filled to just below the aperture from a new container of 140. I have just had a look at the container, which has one of those useful sight-glass strips, and I see that I used almost exactly 300ml. It certainly seems to be sufficient – and (shame on me) somewhat more indeed than I drained out!

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Mike, out of interest which way does your vent pipe point? does it ever leak?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mystery Oil Leak

Ian

Just had a look, and mine is down and back. It is bone dry after a spirited hundred miles yesterday.

I have a slight weep from the l/h banjo flange, which I think I shall have to live with - I always have!

Mike