Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Part Nos BR6/BR7

Good morning Friends.
I think I've got the number right. At all events,these are the brackets which sit on the outside edge of the front crossmember of the 1929 (non-coupled brakes) chassis, and to which the floor pan is attached. I have the pictures from a later spare parts list, but these are confusing as one bracket is not a mirror image of the other (probably an illustrator's error). There seem to be three holes in the top of the bracket, or are two of them rivets?
Anyway, does anyone have a dimensioned sketch or a photograph of one of these things? It's not the end of the world if I get it wrong, of course, but it would be nice to get it right if the information is out there somewhere.

John

Re: Part Nos BR6/BR7

John, They have 3 rivets that go through the chassis cross member and one bolt up through the floorpan.

Re: Re: Part Nos BR6/BR7

Thanks Ian. I'm starting to get tied up in knots here. I've just found a pic of the 1928 chassis on p.76 of Wyatt, and I can see that there are two z-shaped brackets BR36/37 fixed with three rivets just as you describe. The crossmember on my chassis (101155) has never had them, however: it just has single slots for 1/4" bolts. Were there two types of bracket, perhaps? The picture of the '28 chassis shows BR6/7 as well as BR36/37, or were BR6/7 something else completely? I think I need to go and lie down.

John

Re: Re: Re: Part Nos BR6/BR7

I will check it out John, I have a 28 and a 29 so can see if they are the same or not,I am sure they are.Will also check my spare parts books that span 26 to 31.will get back later in the day.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Nos BR6/BR7

Just had a quick look at my parts book and can see your problem, you are looking at the wrong brackets.BR6/BR7 hold the front cross member to the bottom of the chassis rails. BR36/BR37 are the ones that hold the floor pan to the chassis and have 3 rivets into the top of the front crossmember and one bolt up into the floorpan.It is the same on both my 28(63712) and 29(86470) chassis.The June 1930 parts book shows slots in the ends of the crossmember and does not show BR36/BR37 as in the 28 book so we need someone with a slightly later car to have a look what picks up on the slots and how the bracket differs from my cars.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Nos BR6/BR7

Doh!!
Thanks a lot Ian. I've just found BR6/7 cunningly lurking under the chassis rails: glad I don't have to make a pair of those anyway. By now I'm beginning to think that the missing "bracket" is no more than a long bolt through a tubular spacer - hence the slot to ensure alignment. Anyway we'll see.
Thanks again for your help
John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Nos BR6/BR7

I think I've solved it. The body just isn't attached to the outboard ends of the cross members (front & rear) at all! See Wyatt p.126 for mounting points on a long chassis car. I guess the system changed around the time rear extensions were added to the short chassis, or fairly soon after. I may regret asking this, but I wonder what the slots in the cross members are for?

John

N.B. Should get out more.