Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
JR 1169 - 'orrible yellow colour RP

Looking through the photobucket web site at Austin 7's I came across a Lime Green/yellow RP, Reg No. JR 1169 that's not on the Register of Surviving A7's..... I've checked the DVLA web site and it's 'on the road' until April '08 (Or it's got a zero rated Historic Car Road Fund Tax disc or whatever you want to call it).

I don't recognise the club badges on the front number plate - Anyone know any details for the Register please.

(Blame Mike W. for sending me down the photobucket route, the A7's on there do not come up on a Google!)

Sandy Croall
A7CA Registrar

Re: JR 1169 - 'orrible yellow colour RP

Sorry Guv'.

Glad to see that you are getting the hang of it though. There's some good stuff out there, some of the videos are worth a look.

Mike

Hi Sandy,

I'm pretty certain I saw this car, on the back roads in the Tyne valley about twelve months ago. Certainly the car I saw was an 'orrible yellow RP with a JR XXXX number. I can't be sure it was 1169, but the fact that it was JR stuck in my mind as this is a local, i.e. Northumberland registration. It was travelling uphill at quite some speed, so must be in good mechanical condition! The colour was attention grabbing, to say the least!

The North East Club for Pre War Austins is the major club in the area, not just for Austins, but for a wide range of makes and models both pre and post war - so someone from their organisation may be able to help with identification, if indeed it's locally based.

Jeff

Sandy,

Me again I'm afraid, I've just looked at the photo you mention on photobucket and the red badge on the left, is indeed a NECPWA badge. Not sure about the blue / white one on the right - Scottish Austin Seven Club, perhaps?- we're not that far that from the border. This certainly appears to be the same car I saw last year.

Jeff

Jeff, many thanks, I did have a list of the NECPWA A7's a couple of years ago, so it looks like I will have to chase them again.

'orrible yellow, I expect it is someone's pride and joy, as the clean air act will have removed all the industrial sulpher up in the North East!!!!

Conversly... At least the car is visible to moderns.

Sandy

Sandy,

Yes, there's been dramatic changes up here in the past thirty to forty years, then the region was dominated by pit heaps, coking plants, iron & steel works, shipbuilding and heavy engineering, all throwing pollution into the atmosphere. There isn't a single deep mine pit left and all the pit heaps have been bulldozed flat and turned into nature reserves or golf courses. The Tyne once a very heavily polluted river is now acclaimed as one of the best Salmon rivers in England.

I recognised the NECPWA badge as I was a member back in the 1970's and 80's when Tony Pelton (the club's founder) was still running the show.

An old friend of mine has a number of Seven's - non of them sulphur yellow!, only one of which is on the Chassis Register. He's promised to give me details of his other cars, to pass on to yourself, for inclusion in the Register.

Jeff

Re: Re: JR 1169 - 'orrible yellow colour RP

Lovely fresh air, and lots of unemployed people .

I'm intruiged as to what colour yellow can be quite so unpleasant!!! Are there any pictures of it!

Steve

Steve,

Very true throughout the 1970's and early 80's when the run down and closure of all these large heavy industries caused mass unemployment. Things have steadily improved since, gathering momentum in more recent times. So much so, that unemployment isn't necessarily a major regional issue now, true there are pockets remaining, mainly slightly more remote former mining towns and villages - but similar problems exist in some communities in the Welsh valleys, that were once also dependant for their employment on the mining industry. Yes, government needs to address these remaining issues, however I'm very optimistic for the future of the North East. Only last year the first million pound penthouse flat went on sale on Newcastle's Quayside only metres from the once filthy River Tyne - dramatic changes indeed. From a motoring perspective, we now have what is said to be the most productive car making plant in Europe - Nissan, Sunderland, now exporting Qashqai's to Japan - coals to Newcastle in reverse!
Back to the Seven at the heart of this discussion, the image can be found at

http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?media=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv647%2FDenisK%2FDilston%2520car%2520show%2F39a37ec8.jpg&searchTerm=austin%207&pageOffset=7

Make your own mind up about the colour!! The album would appear to contain photos taken at Dilston Hall, a small Stately Home / Castle in the Tyne valley, reinforcing the view that the car is locally based.

Jeff.

Lets see if this works...

Sandy

Re: Re: JR 1169 - 'orrible yellow colour RP

Yep!