Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lame duck hooter

The bosch hooter on my car sounds like a castrated duck, is there any way of tuning these old klaxons to sound a bit more like they should?

Re: Lame duck hooter

60 views but no replies, but having found a copy of 1931 7 spares book I have noticed that Bosch was not listed as a supplier (no surprise). So me thinks maybe find a hooter replacement.

The standard horn on my RP is a rist horn. It works, but only when it feels like it and only then if the battery is full to the brim.

In order to avoid embarrassing incidents I have left it in situ, but substituted it for a 6volt motor cycle horn a friend of mine gave me. It dates from the 1950s and does what it says on the tin.

The Rist is adjustable, so I wonder if your Bosch can be too. Depends if you can get it to bits without too much trouble. The working parts aren't that complicated, usually just a set of contacts which send current to a metal core surrounded by a magnetic winding. The core is usually attached to the diaphragm and it will vibrate dependant on the adjustment.

If you can, take it to bits and have a fiddle. Clean up the contacts and try some fine adjustment on the diaphragm. You can't make it any worse... well you might but then what's the difference!

Re: Re: Lame duck hooter

David, If you horn sounds like a castrated duck it deffinatly needs adjustment, aim for it sounding like a cow that’s had its boll**ks kicked

David,

The 'A. Rist (1927) Ltd' of Lowestoft manufactured horn is the one originally fitted to most, but by no means all, pre Ruby Austin 7's.

Repair & Servicing details are here, they may also apply to your Bosch horn, depending on its construction, though as you've discovered, Bosch was not an OES.

www.austin7.org/rist_horn_repair.htm

Jeff

Thanks for advice/link, I shall have a fiddle with it myself before I decide to replace or send off to expert.
As for a cow having a pair of bo**ocks, now I've heard it all pull the udder one

Re: Re: Lame duck hooter

Yes David realized what I said as I hit the button, but to late……