Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Radiator Badge

I learnt something over the weekend ,that the early radiator badges 1923 had a wider spacing than the later cars for the fixing set screws.Anyone know of any other obscure changes thru the years.

Re: Radiator Badge

David,

Looking at the picture of your car on the Wayward handling post i noticed that the stone guard on the radiator appears to be a little longer than ideal in that it is virtually touching the starting handle and covers the bottom of the radiator badge. Looking in the Canning Brown book the first of the TT cars had the earlier radiator shell so did Austin make shortened '29 shells to fit the TT cars?

The shell i have for my ulster rep had been shortened by an inch when i bought it (didnt realise at the time). I thought that was a lot of effort to go to for not much of a change but having fitted it on the car its obvious that if it were an inch taller it would make the bonnet line look daft.

Regards

Rob

Re: Radiator Badge

Rob,
The TT cars have the normal supercharged radiator ie as 1929 but with a cutaway at the bottom offside of the shell, for the water pump and the bottom conn on the core on the nearside.The stone guard is longer than a later sports type on my car but has been on there since the early 50's so I left it.As raced the TT cars had a wire mesh fixed with 4 set screws thru the front of the shell,mine lost this in the thirties see Southport link,photo of Charles Goodacre.
An unblown 1930/31 Sports has a radiator and core similar to the 1928/29 type.