Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hand Signals

Are hand signals still legally recognised? Most people would understand the driver signalling turning right but left and slowing down might not be understood.And no I dont want to fit indicators and brakew lights.

Re: Hand Signals

Hi David, hand signals are still a legal form of signal, provided of course they are clear and concise and as old highway code regs'. Hand signals are no longer taught for the driving test, pity because they can prove useful even in a modern car. Some drivers have a strange belief that flashing headlights is a form of communication that all others somehow understand!
I'm with you on the issue of modern indicators and brake lights, altho many enthusiasts now fit them to the old cars. Have to say that some fittings used look awful and a little care in selecting more appropriate/sympathtic systems would at least be sensible.
The only exception to my personal considerations on the subject is when the car in question is used for business purposes.

Hand signals are indeed still legally recognised - but as to whether the average youthful motorist recognises them, that is another matter...

Here they are in the Highway Code: http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs02.htm

As the HC also gives much other information that is routinely ignored by a substantial proportion of road users (yacking into their mobile phones as they under-take you in the left lane approaching the roundabout where they will turn right...) I would not rely on your flapping arm to convey the required message!

Nick

Re: Re: Hand Signals

As my Chummy is not fitted with indicators I always use hand signals. I think that the fact that you are waving your arm about conveys the impression to other drivers that you are going to do something, even if they don't know what. I have also used hand signals in Belgium and the Netherlands without problems. In fact, the only problem I have had on a couple of occasions, is with idiots who think that a left turn signal means overtake me now, even when a large bollard is looming up

I fitted flashers to my RP - which still has semaphors - because when I needed to convey to modern Road users my intentions (and the signals are your intentions, NOT what you are actually doing), I found I also need a hand for holding the steering wheel, one for the gear lever and the other one for the hand signal.

After a number of fraught negotiations at junctions and roundabouts, especially in the rain (Oh yes, I also needed another hand to operate the vacuum wiper, which did not seem to want to work at the very times I needed it - a previous posting of a couple of years ago explained a 4 hour journey where the vacuum did not work untill the last 500 yards from home, in heavy rain for the whole time).... I fitted flashers and an electric window motor, it takes some of the pressure off, but I still have to lok out for prats who pass and slow, if not stop in front of me.

Perhaps if you only do the odd journey, bring the car out of it's garage and wash it on Sunday mornings, then OK, use hand signals etc, but for those of us who use their cars on a regular basis (3,000 - 4,000 miles a year or more), then anything to help us enjoy our usage, add it.

Sandy
Cornwall A7 Club.

I have mixed feelings on this one, David, but if I had your car I would be most reluctant to fit signalling devices. As you probably know my special has "cloaked" indicators (white front ones in the original sidelights and red rear ones that usurp the brakelight filament in the AT 201 rear lights. Half hearted, some might say, but people seem to respond to them.

It was driving a fair bit in the dark that led me to do this. My unreconstructed friend Andy has resolutely fitted neither brakelights nor indicators on his Ulster, but I notice he has taken to a flashing wristband with red LEDs in it (see previous remarks on this Forum). Sometimes he uses it in the car as well! It certainly grabs the attention.

Might be worth considering if you're out in the dark?

Regards, Stuart

I did once cause a very near miss with hand signals. Well....I say cause, it was NOT my fault! I was being followed by a very hostile Range Rover. It was the only car behind me on a very windy B road with high banks. I was trying to stick to 35 in an attempt to keep him happy, although some of the corners were a little hariy.

I was using my sat nav (yes, I have sat nav in the Austin!) and noticed that a byway was coming up I could take to allow this fellow past without having to stop myself. This involved turning left at a cross roads on a right-hand bend. (Can you see where we're going here yet?!)

I put out my left-hand trafficator, but assuming that this would not be noticed I also stuck my arm out the window and undertook a text-book left-turn signal just before I braked.

Mr Range Rover disappeared from my rear view mirror only to re-appear over my right shoulder in an overtkaing manouvre. I have to say he was pretty mad to think I would have waved him past at a junction on a blind corner. As I disappeared off to the left, I saw the tractor and trailer coming the other way round the bend.... There was a screeching and a hooting, but no crunch, so I felt no need to go back and investigate. I just prayed I didn't meet Mr Range Rover when I re-joined the main road

I was nearly run down by a 40 tonne HGV whilst stopped (not stopping) at a Pelican crossing in a 30 Mph limit in Stockport despite having stop lights which were on & mounted above and outboard of the rear number plate. The HGV came to rest on alongside me on the wrong side of the road,real trouser filling stuff. Admittedly there were delivery vans parked illegally within the zig zag lines on both sides of the road obsuring the lights for the HGV driver. Thats when I mounted the trailer board (as Sandy calls it in a previous theme, although it doesn't have triangles) clamped on the spare wheel because I realised an HGV drivers eyes are much higher than austin 7 rear lights. Since when close encounters of a modern kind are much reduced. It doesn't look too good, but it is effective and easily removable. Dave.

I am of the same mind as Brian in this . I indicate left while in my box by pointing over the roof. Works fine and at night I wear a white glove!. Story : My Daughter aged 35 rang me " Dad, i cant go to work in the mini. Oh I said, what's wrong. My indicators din't work she replied.... Well I said Use hand signals. Don,t know how to......

Re: Re: Hand Signals

Most young drivers seem to be very good at hand signals......not always the ones you expect though .
The other day a young chav indicated the number two to me with a two fingered hand signal,not sure what he meant, whilst another indicated with one finger that he was going straight up ?

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Hand Signals

It was the case, and presumably still is, that on the application form for a driving licence the applicant signs that he or she has read, and in deed has understood the Highway Code.

"Arm" signals for one's intention to stop, or turn left or right, are still included in the current eighth edition.

It do say "Arm Signals - for use when indicator signals are not used , or when necessary to reinforce direction indicator signals or stoplights".

Incidentally, there is no mention, and never has been, of the 'road rage' signals, which are probably best ignored. Such rudeness really winds me up, along with good old fashioned discourtesy. I can tolerate the normal idiocy which one encounters.

Does it not improve the day when one gets a waved acknowledgement from another interesting vehicle? One of the advantages of vintage motoring I feel.

Mike

The only hand signal most drivers understand nowadays is 'the finger'.

I do a lot of driving steam rollers and the like on the queens highway. Obviously no lights so hand signal are the order of the day. Nobody takes a blind bit of notice. I've even had a police car overtake me while my arm was out to say I was turning right. He got 'the finger' and stopped to give me a wigging, at least that what he thought he was going to do.....