Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brake Light Switches

Good Afternoon everyone, I hope you are all enjoying the Bank Holiday weather.

Having just spent my morning underneath my 1932 AH tourer scratching my head, I have reverted to everyone's combined knowldge to help me.

Which type and how do I install a brake light switch to the old girl?

I have a 'pull' type switch from Auto Electric Supplies but it just doesn't seem to fit without major work, which understandably I dont want to do.

Your kind assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Nathn

Re: Brake Light Switches

Hi Nathan,

Certainly a 1935 high frame LWB (non Ruby) chassis I've seen, had a small right angled bracket riveted to the front offside face of the front cross member on the part of the cross member that protrudes beyond the chassis rail. This bracket appeared to be designed / drilled to take the standard (for the time) Lucas Stop Lamp Switch (pull type) - part 315725 - I think. This switch usually comes complete with an attached expansion spring which I assume is fastened at its other end to the brake pedal in some way, possibly via a small drilling in the pedal arm? Anyone expand on this?

Jeff.

The end of the spring was secured to the brake pedal pull rod by a 'U' clip round the pull rod. Adjustment is by moving the clip along the pull rod till the stop lights come on when you apply the brakes and go off when the brakes are off. Dave

Nathan,

The brake light switch on my dads 32 box is attached to the bottom of the floor pan behind the brake cross shaft where it is easy to get to. It is linked to brake pull rod by a piece of welding rod bent to shape and hooked through a cross hole in the rear end of the pull rod. There is a spring between the welding rod and the switch. Its not adjustable but has never needed adjusting in the 14+ years dad has owned the car.

Regards

Rob

Re: Re: Brake Light Switches

Thanks for the assistance everyone.

In addition to your help I managed to take a look under a Chummy at the 'Hampshire Pageant of Motoring' at the weekend.

Thanks again.

Nathan