Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Boyce Motometer Minutiae

Can anyone confirm the existence of a celluloid/clear plastic gasket between the front and rear facing brass discs in the Boyce Motometer. This gives a window sealing the front disc from any condensation around the thermometer. I have two original meters, one marked 1925 that is ‘Patented’ that has no celluloid, and the other that is not ‘Patented’ so is presumably an earlier example has the celluloid panel between the discs.

Re: Boyce Motometer Minutiae

Ian
Have knowledge of a celluloid sheet in the Boyce Motometer never seen it in the 6 or so I have owned.But think I have found a souce of set screws for the rims.They are chrome which is OK for the late units but can be distressed for the earlier nickel type.(Light rub with 1000 W&D which reveals the nickel base plate)

Re: Boyce Motometer Minutiae

Ian My reply above should have read 'Have NO knowledge'

Re: Re: Boyce Motometer Minutiae

Thanks David, both my meters have about an18thou gasket behind each glass, on the front the glass needs about 30 thou. to stop the glass moving. On the one with the celluloid it is tight. Are both the gaskets on yours the same thickness? I could do with a set of new screws for one of mine.