Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DVLA Date of Liability revisited

There was some discussion earlier this year on Dates of Liability for cars that are off-road and have been since before SORN was introduced.

As the Date of Liability for my car approaches, I have been getting a bit panicky and decided to SORN it anyway. I tried on-line but found it impossible and then tried at my local DVLA office, where it was also impossible. The staff there were very helpful and explained that although they didn't really know what would happen when the Date of Liability (1st November this year) was reached, they were certain that the registration and number would not "drop off", i.e., be lost.

I was reassured at the time, but am now getting edgy again! Has anybody been in the situation where their Date of Liabilty has been passed? I would be very interested to know what, if anything, happened.

Thanks

John

Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Hi John,

I put a fair bit of input into the previous discussions on this topic, unfortunately I think all my posts have disappeared in the entirely necessary 'topic' cleaning process, at least I don't seem to be able to find them now. My date of liability is also looming - 18th October 2007, but I'm not worried at all, in reality why should I be, I've followed all the procedures asked of me by the DVLA since I took the vehicle off the road in 1976 or 1977. As I've mentioned before, I have all the old original buff / green log books and a V5 with all my information on it correct - address, postcode etc. True, I haven't as yet updated it to a V5C and must do so soon. My vehicle, like yours is not SORN'd as it was off road way before SORN. As you rightly discovered, you can't SORN a vehicle if it hasn't got a current 2007 Tax Disc that's just expired, that's the whole principle of SORN, essentially it's a continuous licence until the vehicle is destroyed. So long as your vehicle is on the DVLA database via a V5 or V5C with your up to date name and address and you have the document in your possession, then I can't see how or why they would want to take the registration number away from you. If they did, take them to court - they couldn't possibly win on that basis.

Jeff

Re: Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.

Our previous discussions - from Feb this year - are still here on the Forum, it is your earlier ones that have had to be removed.

So I guess I'll just sit tight. My V5C is accurate and up to date.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested to hear how your Vehicle Enquiry data changes after 18th October.

Thanks again

John

Re: Re: Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Taking the DVLA to court may be difficult on the bases they pinched your number. As far as I know the numbers always remain the property of the DVLA even if you buy them from them. You only purchase the right to display the number. Rules may have changed of course.

Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Hi Ian,

I'd agree entirely with what you say, the numbers are indeed the property of the DVLA as is the log book / V5C and you merely have the right to display them. For example, I strongly suspect the selling on eBay of Log Books / V5C's for any purpose other than to frame and hang on the wall is illegal.

However my point was more a matter of principle, if you legally hold the up to date registration document to display and have complied fully with all the DVLA's requirements down the years, it doesn't seem correct in law for the DVLA, an agent of the State, to take away your right to display that number, due to some administrative error on their part. You may be right of course, it could prove difficult to take to court, but if it happened to me, I'd be tempted to give it a go. I strongly believe that registration numbers should stay with our types of vehicle until that vehicle is destroyed.

John, I'll keep you informed re my date of liability when it comes up in October, I suspect the year will just turn over to 2008.

Jeff

Re: Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Jeff

Thanks. Lets hope the Date of Liability does just move forward to October 2008, as you suspect.

John

Re: Re: Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Hi John,

I've just checked the DVLA Enquiry Site, it's been closed for 'essential maintenance' for some days. As I suspected the 'Date of Liability' year has merely rolled over to October 2008 - Vehicle Status remains: Licence Not Due.

Jeff

Re: Re: Re: Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Thanks, Jeff. Now I can sleep soundly.

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: DVLA Date of Liability revisited

Hi Jeff

Yes, same here. My Date of Liability has been extended to 2008 as well.

All the best

John