Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trico Folberth Windscreen wiper motor

My 1928 Chummy has one hole in the top windscreen rail not the usual three.So a Lucas cylindrical wiper wont fit.An early photo of the car (1951) shows a 'D' shaped Trico vacuum motor which uses a single hole and nut on the shaft to fix.Have seen this wiper in contemporary photos am I right in my assumption that the Trico was a factory fitted item?

Re: Trico Folberth Windscreen wiper motor

David, That’s really interesting as my 28 Chummy (63712) only had one hole in the screen rail. I drilled two extra holes and fitted the Lucas but have since noticed on period photos that some Chummys do appear to have fitted the Trico. The Trico of the period was mainly fitted to Fords and my component supplier catalogues never list them for Austin. Probably a case of Lucas not being able to supply enough at the time. What is you chassis number?

David, Ian,

I have a line illustration and specification for these Trico Folberth wipers from an old catalogue, will post over the weekend, when I have more time. They look almost identical to the Lucas cylindrical suction wiper, but are said to be one-hole fitting. No mention in the catalogue of the make / models they were fitted to though. I think the 'D' shaped Trico's were 1940's / 50's designed units and used on many Ford models - Eights, Tens etc.

Jeff

Re: Re: Trico Folberth Windscreen wiper motor

Yes Jeff, I have just found the Trico-Folberth suction wiper you describe. It is, as you say very similar to the Lucas unit with the exception of the regulating screw which is a large button shaped screw and is one hole fixing .The model number of this one is FJ303A. The ‘D’ shaped Tricos are pre war without a doubt and are listed as being fitted to Ford cars in my 1936 Brown Brothers catalogue. In the period pics I have seen with the ‘D’ shaped Trico fitted they are mounted with the radius part uppermost, this would necessitate a cutout or clearance of some kind in the wood at the front of the hood frame. I have the original hood frame and have no such cutout even though I only had one hole on the screen frame. Looks as though it could have been fitted with the FJ303A

Re: Re: Trico Folberth Windscreen wiper motor

I fitted one to our cup model, they appear to have been fitted with them from new, judging by period photos. They marginally improve visibility: the top of the screen is lower than on a chummy meaning that a lucas wiper sits in the center of your field of vision when the top panel of the windscreen is open.
However, it was completely useless (even by vacuum wiper standards), it may just have been that the seals were worn out, or maybe that the design is inherantly less efficient than the cylinder type; I'm not sure. Anyway, now it has a lucas motor and I put up with not being able to see where I'm going.

Ian,I have a 1928 Hobdays catalogue this lists the Folberth cylindrical type Junior and also the Trico D shaped type which boasts only having a single hole fixing.Also the March 1928 Austin Parts List Pub No 353N lists at the back under windscreen wipers both Trico and Folberth.Like you I have certainly seen contemporary photos of A7's fitted with Trico type motors.There is a photo of a 1926 Standard Sports on the front cover of the last A7OC mag so fitted although this is probably retrofit in the late 20's.
My car is Chassis no 55672 car no A5 7924 reg 10 March 28 and is largely original .I have the history of the car back to 1936.

Re: Re: Re: Trico Folberth Windscreen wiper motor

Indeed, Tom, Cup Models had the Trico wiper motor. I have shown two pictures of YW 214.

One was taken at Goodwood in 1963, and shows GCGE and his wife completing a lap at the Festival of Motoring. This picture was taken about a minute after the one on page 175 of Harvey.

The other was at Heston Aerodrome - now part of London Airport - in 1955, with a very youthful me having a bit of a go at a driving test meeting.

Both pics clearly show the wiper showing above the top of the screen. Up to this point this was a very unrestored car, though I notice that Colin Hoile the then owner had removed the badge bar and spot lamp by '63.

It is also perhaps noteworthy, in view of another recent post, that the bonnet top and sides are painted.

The car is now brown, or was when last spotted at Beaulieu about four years ago, and has self colour bonnet sides.

Mike

See grey (buff) mag. 2007C pp25-29. Shows '28 car supplied by Austin factory to Gladys de Havilland for a round the world trip. The 'D' shaped wiper motor is clearly visible above the windscreen top rail suggesting these were a factory fitment in 1928

Martin