Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Blocking Tap in Gravity Feed Petrol Tank

Hi

On a friends 1930 car, recently returned to the road after half a century, the petrol outlet tap keeps blocking with black debris, which then has to be poked out after disconnecting the fuel line.

The tank outlet is a very tight elbow and access from the inside is nil because of the baffles.

Has anyone a suggested cure for this? The debris is like tealeaves and the blockage occurs every few miles!

Regards

Colin

Re: Blocking Tap in Gravity Feed Petrol Tank

During the time that the car was laid up, rust has formed inside the tank. As soon as you fill it up with petrol and start using it it is being washed off and down into the tap. It will also find its way into the carb and can block the jets. Only real cure is to remove the tank, thoroughly clean it out and then use a Slosh sealer which is poured in through the filler hole, shaken about to coat the inside and left to dry. Make sure you don't block any breather/outlet holes. I had this problem on a special with a Chummy tank, it worked fine.

To add to Dave's post - you can buy a kit of cleaner & tank sealant from Frosts - http://www.frost.co.uk/
on-line - you can buy a kit for a motor cycle as this will do up to a 5-gallon tank.

I have cleaned mine out with their kit and it worked a treat - did not have to use the sealant as the interior came up very clean (I think my tank is non-original as it is galvanised).

Good luck!

Gary

My Bro' had the same problem on his classic BSA motorbike, he used the stuff mentioned with excellent results.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Any ideas on how to prevent the sealant from blocking the outlet - a piece of wire etc won't push up round the 90 degree elbow in the tap?

Regards

Colin