Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Original?? Ulster for sale

Ulster?

It says that it is a TT Car, (it's not).

Not so sure who the famous driver John Goodacre is either

Re: Original?? Ulster for sale

Austin .
Its definately not a sports Austin,let alone a TT.

Well, he wants 35,000 Euros for it! (And it's in Italy)

Buyer beware does trade descripion act apply if they quote engine and chassis nos albeit they are from standard cars

A quick look in the surviving chassis number register confirms it is an Ulster rep. Buyer beware indeed.

Possibly worth a third of what they are asking?

I know an Ulster rep can cost a lot to put together but should they be worth more than say an original Chummy.I looked through the Austin ledger records and it does not exist there ,the engine does not fall into any of the known batches of engines either in the incomplete Austin records or my Register.The Reg No is also a bit of a giveaway,its a reissue.

Very sadly someone will probably buy it.

Page 25 of October 2007 "Classic and Sports Car" is a full page advertisment for a forthcoming auction of a 'genuine' Ulster UT 7778, surely not?

David,

had you noticed the prefix on the number plate is "B S", are they trying to tell us something???

Cheers

Ruairidh

Graham, if you know that UT 7778 is not a genuine EA Sports (Ulster), please let me know and I will amend the Register to 'Replica'.

Sandy Croall
Registrar A7CA

Sandy, there is already a thread on here about this car.

I had thought that UT 7776 was a replica with a Stuart Rolt body .A photo appears in the Harvey book

Re: Re: Original?? Ulster for sale

Will someone please show again the original reference which seems to have disappeared from the top of the thread.

Thanks

Mike

Car in Italy, (replica and VERY expensive).

"original" Ulster for sale by auction (mentioned on previous thread).

All the cars sold by that Italian source are verrrry expensive. The guy who runs it bought my Singer Le Mans Special Speed a few years ago, ran it in the Mille Miglia (!) and then advertised it for more than double what he paid me. I found him a charming man and a genuine enthusiast --- but his sporting activities seem heavily subsidised by his customers.

Re. the 'auction car' with the Cambridge head : which carb is the one shown in the pic, please?

UT7778 I am not an Austin 7 expert and was not around in 1930. All I can do is give the facts as I know them.

This acrual car was featured in [chapter 94] of the Brooklands 60 years of Austin Seven 1922-1982 as a 1930 Austin Ulster.

This was a reprint of the Autocar Magazine article dated 27 November 1982 which provides some interesting facts of the cars history.

It is in the Harvey book

The current V5 and previous Log Book shows the car as Austin Ulster with both docunments showing the same chassis, engine and registration number

The same details are quoted in the Austin Seven Clubs Association records www.a7ca.org

It currently has correct Ulster:-

Horn, Lights, Headlights,back axle, exhaust,dials, front spring, wheels, steering wheel, etc

It has replacement:-

[Early correct] Body by Stuart Rolt,Seats [to original spec], Fuel tank [to original sepc and in correct position],

It has Modified:-

Cambridge Head [period mod]

It has New:-

Battery, Tyres, MOT

It drivers like an Uister should [Ask Dave Williams

It may well have a chassis number which is considered [by one person] to have a chassis number which is too early to be an original Ulster, but I would say who really knows what was happening with chassis on the Austin factory floor in 1930!

I do not think any person is an 'Austin 7 historian' as I understand some old Austin 7's which are considered original have also replacement body and very few parts which can be confirmed as 'original'

As I said I think its up to people [at auction] to make up their own minds given the 'facts'. I think the debate on what is an original car or not will go on forever, particully in the Austin 7 world.

If you can find me 10 of these at a 1/3 of what they are asking please tell me where they are first! Many thanks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

A quick look in the surviving chassis number register confirms it is an Ulster rep. Buyer beware indeed.

Possibly worth a third of what they are asking?

Hi Roger,

The car is in "The Harvey Book" but the caption next to the photo reads;

Other Austin Seven specials, whether on parade in concours events, or just parked at a race meeting, are guaranteed to attract attention.

It does not say that it is an original ulster.

Interestingly though 2 of my dads cars are in the book. (Which definatley aren't ulsters!)

I agree! My car has attacted attention, I would like to think because its just a nice Austin 7 'Ulster' and is quite special. It was good to find it was in the Harvey Book and perhaps more so, seeing it featured in the 1982 Autocar roadtest which was reproduced in the [very nice and interesting] Brooklands Austin 7 60 years book.It drives really well and it will be sad to see it go, but I do have another one. I would not wish to mislead anybody and have advised the auction house to provide ALL the available facts [and available numbers] so that people can make up their own mind. [At least its not the 'Italian Job'!!]
Regards

Re: Re: Re: Original?? Ulster for sale

This car was built by my brother John (now deceased] and his son Jonathan arond 1980 with most parts from a standard Austin 7. I agree it is a good replica...but that is all. Bernard Cowley Chairman A.7.C.A.

Re: Original 1930 / 'Ulster' / Special SOLD

Thanks for History Bernard. I also agree it a very good car and great value @ £12,000.00 + commission = £13200.00 Regards

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

This car was built by my brother John (now deceased] and his son Jonathan arond 1980 with most parts from a standard Austin 7. I agree it is a good replica...but that is all. Bernard Cowley Chairman A.7.C.A.