Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trailer queen

I'm planning for a number of longer distance trips next year and although I would be fine to drive my Wife would be well cramped up in the passenger seat of my Swallow saloon. Now don't get me wrong, my wife is not a 6 foot high lady, a mere 5'4" but its still cramped. So the answer is to trailer my car to the venue and then drive/enjoy. My thoughts are to use a large box trailer so as to afford protection whilst on motorways. Anyone else have any experiences of using this type of thing and what car is good for towing, I'm thinking Skoda 1.8TD.

Re: Trailer queen

I reluctantly decided that a trailer would be a good idea when I wanted to take the Chummy on a trip to France with wife + 2 boys + luggage. It is an ordinary flat-bed trailer built on an ex-caravan chassis and has towed impeccably, loaded or empty, at speeds up to 80mph (although from 70 onwards it's a good idea to have the wheels balanced). I have always used Peugeot turbo diesels as towing cars.

David

A box trailer will give suffer from more wind drag and be buffeted by cross winds.
I've used my 2 wheel trailer for years now - it got treated to a rebuild this summer which resulted in most of new chassis (it is 46 years old). Tows brilliantly at speeds which can get you into trouble and lives chained to a tree - painted dark green and blending into a corner of the drive.
My towcars have always been "family sized" and had no trouble. Probably the best was an Audi A4 turbo diesel which got 43mpg whilst towing to Wiscombe Park.

Charles

Some good points made, thank you. It is tempting to go for an open trailer but having had the experience of my Sons motorcycle on such an trailer I'm unsure. My only concern is getting caught in foul weather and my little car being doused in motorway crud. Difficult choice as I may never have to tow thru bad weather, but!!

Re: Re: Trailer queen

I use a Skoda 1.9tdi (basically the same as Golf and Audi equivalents) to tow a horsebox trailer; more go than the previous Disco and a lot less thirsty! Have carried the Chummy in it, nice clean and dry, but also used a flatbed, easier to tie down and less weight to lug around. So Chummy gets a bit wet sometimes. Take a leather.

I have a Brian James Minnow, this is a small enclosed trailer that I think was designed for Lotus Super 7's. I tow a Fiat Abarth to Italy, using a 4x4 or Alfa 156, both tow it very well. When my Ulster rep' is inside there is room to spare for luggage. I would definitely recommend this trailer and think the Skoda would tow it without any problems.

When I "have" to tow this is my trailer...

Short-wheel-based cars only (no 70mph or even 80mph!!!!, stick to 55mph or 60mph...please!), no brakes...

Details from:

Email: sales@lincolnquads.co.uk

Tel: 01522 687600

Address:
Lincoln Quads
Unit 6B Exchange Close
Exchange Road
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
LN6 3TR
www.lincolnquads.co.uk

Trailer Description:
Size: 250cm x 155cm (8ft 3in x 5ft)
Ramp: Large closing ramp
Floor: Mesh for easy cleaning
Suspension: Leaf spring
Carrying capacity: Up to 500kg
Finish: Galvanised
Colours: Gray/Silver finish galvanised
Key features: Easy to tow, large closing ramp for easy loading/unloading, suitable for a variety of uses including carrying quads/ATV's
Normal Price: £499.95
Sale Price £389.99

My tow car is a Volvo V70D, don't even notice it on the back! It is compulsary to listen to the "Archers" and read the "Guardian" however...

Cheers

Ruairidh

I also have a V70 and fit both your necessary categorisations - And the petrol V70 doesn't notice the trailer either.

Charles

WOW! thats a great little trailer, at under 400 pounds its a bargain too. I've measured up my car and at 10 feet bumper to bumper it looks like I'm too long by 3 inches!! hows that for bad luck

I have just rung Lincoln Quads - they don't sell trailers any more :-( they say there's no money in it. Mind you, at that price I'm not surprised - most bargains that seem too good to be true usually are. I am looking into getting a range of low-cost trailers made specifically for Austin 7s - they will be good quality, galvanised, British and braked. They will be a bit more than £400, but considerably less than Brian James ones.

David

I shall keep my eyes peeled for your trailers David, the rear trailer board/load ramps are convenient but the downside is you cannot have any overhang. With my Swallow saloon of course the rump has that oh so nice oval shape making the car a little longer than chummies.

Hi Ruairidh, close study of your pic shows you have put a strap on the hood frame, is that from bitter experience? I have always wondered if the little clips could hold the peak down at 70 plus!!

Well if you want a tailor made A7 trailer the best on the market are made by Bantam Trailers ring Alan on 01296 483861 they are tip top!

Ian,

the strap is in place just in case, I reckon if the hood was to lift whilst towing it would do a lot of damage to the frame and also the back of the body.

David,

The trailer length can be adjusted slightly, say the 3 inches you require, by removing the front rail, it isn't structural and can be moved forward easily.

Cheers

Ruairidh

Dear all,

good news...

Lincoln Quads can still supply these trailers but they are however, more likely to be at the original price of £500, which, I think, still represents excellent value.

The chap I spoke to was very helpful and keen that people know they DO still sell trailers. He told me that if several orders can me made at once, say 5 trailers, he may be able to offer them at the discounted price again.

I can highly recommend this trailer not only for SWB cars but also for lugging all sorts of stuff about. It fits down the side of my house easily and the ramp design means quick loading and off-loading.

If you are interested in purchasing a trailer get in touch with me and I will see if a batch of trailers can be ordered up together. I am putting together a small article for our club magazine to this effect also. Feel free to use the pictures I have posted along with the text above to send to your club editors, the more that can be ordered the better the price.

I am happy to liaise with Lincoln Quads but want to make it clear from the start that I don't have any intention of making any personal gain on this and I already have my own trailer.

If people need to see more photos etc. let me know and I'll get them posted up. I have trailer’ed my Chummy and Top Hat, friends also trailer their Chummy and also a G.E. Cup Model.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

Cheers

Ruairidh

A most thoughtful offer Ruairidh, for now though I think I will hold fire until new year and then start looking again, with the recommendations on here forefront of mind.

David,

just got my first glimpse of your SWallow Saloon in the Norfolk A7 Club newsletter, lovely!

Enjoy it.

Cheers

R

Hi Ruairidh,
will 33-34 box saloons fit, with
out making any changes ?, and if we , Ardrishaig
Austin Seven Associaiton, were to take two,
will they stack one on top of the other?
thus only one trip to collect,
Cheers from sunny Argyll. DAI.

Hi Dai,

You would need to check the weight of your cars. These trailers are rated at 500kg, Box Saloons are too long as the trailer is setup just now but can be extended.

Post the weight and the length and I'll get back to you.

Cheers

R

Hi Ruaididh,
according to the source book, its
overall length is 9 foot 11 inchs, weight 10
cwt 2 qr,

cheers DAI.

ps, wheel base 6 foot 9 inchs.

Thank you for the kind compliment of my Swallow Ruairidh. I belong to the Essex A7 club so have not seen the pic' as yet. It is my intention that my Swallow and I will be very long term partners and it all promises to be great fun and satisfaction ahead (and no doubt one or two glitches along the way

So far as the trailer go'es it is likely that I will go for a slightly larger one of about 11 feet load bay so that it will accomadate other vehicles from time to time.

Ruairidh, just saw your three pics - very good shots, and nice car and trailer.
Looking at the plants, etc., it struck me that they could have been taken here in Vancouver, Washington State, USA. No wonder the Hudson's Bay Co. felt so much at home here.

John,

just got your message on my blog. The dashboard is not suitable for you to copy for your car, or an original layout for a 1928 Chummy fo that matter, I have extra instruments and they should all be painted black not completely nickled...

Ian Moorcraft's car would provide you with as acurate a layout as exists and I am sure he will oblige you with a posted photograph.

Chris Edwards and Bernard Griffiths should be able to provide you with photos of the correct layout for your GE saloon.

Good luck,

Cheers

Ruairidh

Thanks!
I'm gathering whatever is out there, hoping for, if not truth, at least a consensus.