Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bayliss Thomas

I have decided to part company with my B.T. This will enable me to concentrate on my A7 Swallow. I have a few things that I would like to get sorted. Scuttle vents will be with me in due course so they will need fitting, along with the under dash' tubing. Also looking out for an Smiths 8 day dash' clock, it seems the black faced clock is more difficult to obtain than the 'silver' face one. On top of that I may have the road wheels cleaned up and stove enamelled, they look smart as they are but I bet rust is lurking under the paint! also I am now on the lookout for an Swallow sports (when B.T. has sold).Not to mention my need of a trailer. Will my wife murder me? Almost certainly

Re: Bayliss Thomas

Having chatted with you at the Norfolk Show Ground, it sounds like the B-T has been a long-term friend and well looked-after - I'm sure you'll find plenty of interest in something "that bit different"!

David - you said that it seems the black faced Smiths clock is more difficult to obtain than the 'silver' face one. Does this mean that you are seeking the black faced one?

Yes David, apparently it was the black faced clock used in the Swallow saloon and this will also match my speedo. The clock is the 'standard' 8 day Smiths as used in many prewar cars, the front opens on a hinge to reveal the cased works and also the winder.I also need the plain chrome surround to the clock rather than the nickel plated seratted rim.

Re: Re: Bayliss Thomas

Hi, David.
I am also looking for a black faced clock, I`v been looking for over a year without success Any one out there got a working one,
Jon.

The only alternative to patience and luck is maybe to have the silvered dial coated black? is this possible or worthwhile tho?

Like this one?

Just a guess, but looks from the typeface on the dial and the style of the back of the clock to be more mid 40's rather than early 30's.

Jeff

Yes that ebay clock is an later version than the type sought. The 1920's to early 1930's clock has an nickel or chromed surround to the bevel which enables the clock to be mounted onto the dash by 4 screws. The clock is housed in its own integral case, swing out the clock from the case which exposes the winder and hands adjuster. Very common car clock, but not with a black face and chrome rather than nickel finish to bevel and mount surround, it seems.

Pleased to say that I have now managed to purchase the 'Smiths' car clock that I wanted. Good old E-bay! Bargain price of 31 pounds too and its good working order

All I have to do now is have the bezel chrome plated and fit into my dashboard.BUT HOW ON EARTH DO I CUT A 3 1/2 INCH HOLE IN THE WOOD THO? i DON'T WANT TO REMOVE DASH FROM CAR IF I CAN HELP IT.?