Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Weighty subject!

Bit of an corny thread title, hope you may be able to advise me of the weight of my 7 Swallow saloon. I have tried Google to no avail and as yet do not own a copy of the Source Book.
Just trying to work out those trailer towing weights. Thank you.

Re: Weighty subject!

David,

If you are looking to find the weight of your car for trailer/towing purposes then the best advice anyone can give you is to take it down to your nearest public weighbridge and weigh it. If your car has been restored at some time in the past then its weight may differ from any recorded at the time of manufacture. Also I would expect that you will be carrying the odd spare or two and maybe some spare oil. these should be in the car when you weigh it as they will be part of the load on your trailer.

If you need to find a local public weighbridge then contact your local Trading Standards department who should have a list of all the public weighbridges in your area.

The Source Book only appears to give the unladen weight of the Swallow Mk II Sports at 8cwt, the saloon would obviously be a bit heavier.

Jeff

Thanks guys, I shall head for weighbridge, out of interest I shall post up the weight on here so anyone wishing to hazard an guesstimate? sorry no prizes!

Whatever it is, make sure you get the weight correct in its metric equivalent (ie Kgs) to save you any problems at MOT time.

Good point Reckless, me thinks I shall get onto the scales with full compliment of fuel and bits and bobs ready for that long euro tour.

Of course I would imagine at the MOT all of this will have been used and long gone, leaving me with the small little lightweight that it is.

Just came off the weighbridge fully fuelled with no driver or passengers on board at 590kg converts to = 11.61cwt

Quite surprising, I did'nt expect that heavy. My Swallow is in completely standard trim and ally body with steel wings as factory. Good job I checked.

Thats interesting, I weighed one of our RN saloons a couple of years ago with a full fuel tank and the usual collection of spares and tools no humans-600kg.