Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hi

Hi, robin here, well what a day, thanks for your messages, after fitting bottom fan pulley, I was informed it should be soaked in oil first, so after reading about stinging it with crowbar and hammer, I went to remove it by doing the same, and yep youve guessed it, a brand new pulley in two bits with the collar still left on the shaft, so out came the vacum cleaner to catch the swarth and drilled a small hole down the length, tapped it with a punch and split it in two and amazingly for me got it off with no further damage, soaked pulley seal in oil and then refitted the old pulley, still the fan belt now lines up so thats good, have now proceeded to putting the steering box together again packed full of grease and hopefully adjusted just right, (is there a test for this?) one job leads to another and all because the advance and retard shafts where seized, onwards and upwards, guess alot of you have been there, got lots of pics from bognor how do I post them, thats if you want to see them, tomorrow if weather prevails will be trying to refit box unless ive missed something Cheers, Robin

Re: Hi

Robin

Don't tighten the fan belt up to much, it doesn't drive a water pump etc. leave some 'slack', enough to easily turn the fan, but not to put much pressure on the fan pully bearing.

Sandy

steering box update

Thanks sandy, has you probably gathered this is all new to me, but im having fun despite the set backs, well the steering box is in and feels good, but cannot get the advance gas tubes in so will probably have to be loosened of again , unless the sun roof slides further back, do you think thats a good idea ?, where the arm comes out of the steering box and connects on to the long tube to the axle, there is some movement, the bit where the sleeve fits over a spring loaded bullet type of shim and then a bolt passes through sleeve and holds the arm in place, should this be there ,it appears to not be to bad but im not sure, cheers, Robin.