Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Clutch lining thickness

I have just removed the engine from my 1928 Chummy (fitted with a 1929 engine) so that it can be rebuilt.
Can anyone tell me how thick the cluch linings should be?

Re: Clutch lining thickness

I've never bothered with the thickness of the linings ,when I've stripped an engine down if the linings are glazed ,oil impregnated or close to the rivets I've replaced them with proprietry linings.
Never had a problem.

Re: Re: Clutch lining thickness

Thanks for the reply David, the problem is that I don't know how near the rivets is too close. Thee linings are not oily or badly glazed/scored and are about 5/32" proud of the rivets.
I would hate to put new ones on only to find that there is little difference.
On a slightly different note, are new old stock linings to be trusted? i.e. do they deteriorate with age?
Regards
Brian

If they are 5/32 proud of the rivets I would use them if everything else is OK.
Can't imagine new old stock would deteriate just think what conditions they have to work under.

I'm sure I remember a thread on a forum that quoted new linings supplied from an A7 supplier were thinner than the old linings the person was intending to replace!!!
I cant seem to find it, does anyone else remember this?

Steve.

Yes Steve, that's precisely what was said. It might have been on this forum, possibly two to three months back.

Jeff

Try "Clutch plate & speedo" September 13 2006, yes over 12 months ago.

Hi re clutch lineings Yes that was me that posed the question orriginaly and I did replace them with new from the Seven Workshop and yes the new were thinner than the old ones and the rivets were looking close to the face.My advice is if the old ones are not cracked then leave alone .
Hope this helps.
Mike

Many thanks to all for the replies. I have just realised that I made a mistake over the thickness; it is not 5/32 abovr the rivets but 5/64. I am tempted to leave well alone and just clean everything thoroughly.

Even at 5/64" above the rivets I very much doubt that new linings would be any thicker. If there's no damage or contamination I'd leave 'em alone

Martin

There are two sets of linings on ebay at the moment. I asked both people what the thickness was and they have both come back with 1/8" which is less than my used ones so I shall leave well alone.
My grateful thanks to all for your advice
Regards
Brian Hutchings