Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Indicator Stalk

Good Afternoon,

I trust everyone is having a good weekend.

I have finally managed to get my indicators fitted but have a slight issue....

I have attempted to fit the indicator stalk in the picture but the way it fixes (hope you can see from the picture) means that it is loose and so moves around.

Click to enlarge.

Does anyone know the best way to fit this to prevent it from happening?

Thanks

Nathan

Re: Indicator Stalk

Hi Nathan, When I fitted my A7 indicator switch the metal band was so rusty it wouldn't take the strain and snapped so I put a plastic tie around which held it nice and snug then "attached" the metal band above it which looks like it should but is superglued. I'm not sure it would work with your stalk but it's an idea.
Perhaps someone has an original, not too rusty, metal band so I can be properly original. Richard Tatton

Could you fit some rubber strip (e.g. old cycle inner tube) between column and strap?

Regards, Stuart

Nathan,

Just a thought - the hook does not necessarily have to go into the end slot, you can clip it in several slots round prior to tightening up the adjusting screw under the escutcheon. May work???

Mike

Re: Re: Indicator Stalk

Thanks Mike,

After reading your post it suddenly dawned on me that there was adjustment to the catch via the screws.....

I know have a securely fixed indicator stalk!!

Thanks again.

Nathan

Re: Re: Re: Indicator Stalk

oh too late to offer my only bit of knowledge about A7s. I fitted one of these a few weeks ago and found it a fiddle but yes you just wind the screw adjustment far out click the clamp into the tightest you can squeeze it to with your fingers and then finally tighten with the screws. I was a bit worried about some way of being aware that I had left the indicator on as the switch doesn't have an audible click. I was thinking about fitting a light before I realised that the ammeter flicks in time with the power drain so I have my warning system in front of me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Indicator Stalk

Andy,

Is there not a 'grain of wheat' bulb in the tip of the lever?

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Indicator Stalk

I think you will need an indicator of some kind in the cab for the MOT.
I have heard a local rumour that a Cornwall club member has used the flicking of the ammeter to satisfy the MOT man!

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Indicator Stalk

oh I hadn't thought it could be an MOT issue. The stork is solid and has no warning light, but there is a contact from the switch unit for a bulb and as I have no dash warning bulb I could use that hole. Having said that my A7 has just expired with a loud bang and a lack of drive so indicator warnings are no longer top of my worry list.

Andy