Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gearbox

Hello everybody,
I have just returned from a week's touring in my Seven (Big Seven) on The Isle of Wight without any hitches at all. However I do have a problem which has been with me for some time, can anybody tell me why my gearbox (four speed syncro) seems to "tighten up" as it gets warm? When I first start off all is fine, but as the box warms up it gets more dificult to change gear, both going up and down the box! First to second is ok but second to third, and third to top is a nightmare!and changing down is just as bad, sometimes it just wont engage third at all! and yes I do double declutch.
Regards
John

Re: Gearbox

John have you tried changing the oil to 20/50?
chris

Re: Re: Gearbox

Hello Chris,
Thank's for your reply, yes I have tried; classic 30, 20/50, and even 90gear oil, it didnt make any difference! I think it must be mechanical the syncro cones on third and top are not what they used to be!
Regards, John

Re: Re: Re: Gearbox

John, it could be that the clutch is dragging as well as/instead of the synchro cones being worn. When cold the greater viscosity of the gearbox oil will help to slow the gears down when changing gear. It will be less effective when warm.
Sounds like a gearbox overhaul may well be needed. You may be able to "rob" better cones off some A7 gears. Also, I am told these are the same as fitted to the early post-war A40. Can anyone confirm - and source?
Ron

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gearbox

John if you dont want to do a rebuild yourself Vince Leek does a splendid job well worth it if you are keeping your seven for awhile.
Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gearbox

Hello Ron, Thank you for your information, im'e happy that the clutch is not dragging because I can hear the gearbox stop when I declutch,so I think it must be the syncro cones, intresting about A40 gearbox according to my BMC workshop manuals this box is the same as the A30, A35, Sptite and Midget! so maybee there are some new ones available, now that would be nice!!
Regards
John