Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cast Iron Clutch Linings

Can anyone tell me who makes cast iron clutch linings?

Re: Cast Iron Clutch Linings

Try John Sutton

Re: Re: Cast Iron Clutch Linings

John Sutton certainly had some when I last saw him.

I did work out that you could machine a set from a pair of early Ford Fiesta brake discs - they're solid and the right size. That is assuming you have a biggish lathe.

Charles

Forgive my ignorance, but what advantages would cast iron clutch linings provide?

I can see they would not get oil imprgnated, but will the grip / have some feel (not that there is much feel anyway!)? Is there enough pressure in an A7 clutch to make them work?

Would they work for a road car, or just for racing etc.

Thanks for the education!
Peter

I have used cast iron clutch linings on the Rolt Ulster and the TT car. They were a standard fitment to the road going 1930-32 Sports cars and the Works cars.The big advantage with cast iron linings is that they transmit the heat generated away from the clutch plate and prevent buckling and distortion which will cause slip.The only downside I have found is that some of the heat seems to be transmitted to the thrust race and more frequent oiling is required.Over oiling obviously wont affect CI linings.I have always found them smooth in operation and they have never slipped even with over 50 BHP available on the TT.Every other clutch spring is doubled up and the clutch plate is a Works one with additional rivets to the splined centre.

With A Sports Austin especially the S/C car with a 4.9 back axle,19" wheels and the high 1st gear in the C/R box a lot of clutch slipping is needed to move off.