Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
replica ulster

The replica Ulster ( ex Bernard Cowley) made £12,000 at H&H's sale at Duxford yesterday ( hammer price).How much does this make a real one worth?

Re: replica ulster

The original bit of the question is the tricky bit! At what point does it become "non-original" after the car has been repaired and new replacement parts been added?

As there were so few Ulsters made and many were used for racing and therefore had a hard life / modified there must be very few (if any?) completely original cars left.

My guess is that if a "good one" came up it would be pushing £20k+, however as with anything it only takes two people who really want it and things can get silly.

I'm speaking from memory here, but "Ulster" - pardon the semantics - PL 5432 (genuine car, minor Brooklands history, one or two repaired/replaced components), went for circa 28k at auction a couple of years ago. Open to correction by those who keep records of such things!

Is it worth it? Well, it was to someone. It seems to me that if you work out what it would cost to build a replica then that gives you a clue how much someone is prepared to pay for that intangible, history. Every now and then, when driving my own car, I find it a bit spooky to think who else has sat behind the wheel and where and when. Is that feeling worth over 10K? Well, I wouldn't swap the sensation for my wife's secondhand modern, so the answer for me appears to be yes - rather to my surprise!

I had occasion recently to consult DSJ's "Directory of Historic Racing cars" (brushing up on who owned which Alta) and was moved to admiration for his excellent classification of cars into Original, Genuine, Authentic, Resurrection, Reconstruction, Facsimile, Special and Duplication.

It is probably worth quoting the first line of his paragraph on "Facsimile";

"Purely and simply a racing car that now exists when there never was an original".

I used to think that such a car would do for me. Now I'm not so sure. I must be getting old!

The whole glossary makes thought provoking reading. I miss DSJ.

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: replica ulster

Yes Stuart, I miss DSJ as well. He was where it all started for me, 10 years old and finding this magazine called 'Motor Sport'. It all went down hill from there really.

On Saturday, on our Welsh Trial '100 miles', the route we take takes us past Nantmel where WB lives. He takes a fair bit of the blame as well

STEVE

Whatever the market says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always read WB's section first when Motorsport hits the doormat.

Would also like an ulster, but most definitely do not have £28K!!!

Steve

I'm speaking from memory here, but "Ulster" - pardon the semantics - PL 5432 (genuine car, minor Brooklands history, one or two repaired/replaced components), went for circa 28k...

Which has nothing to do with my replica "Ulster" PL 9594, (built by my dad and looks very nice indeed!)

It's been to Brooklands, just not long enough ago to count.

I do have a photo of PL 5432, (believed to be Brooklands 1932 JCC high speed trial). Not sure who sent it to me though.

Re: Re: Re: replica ulster

I've got a very good 'Ulster' replica for sale with all the right bits for a lot less than £28k

Then we have my old friend Pete Mumby's special (see previous thread) offered for sale at 26,000 Euros (£18k, give or take).
Of course, it does have some competition history, albeit somewhat hampered by having been a saloon until the late '50s. Somehow I don't feel the thrill!
Roger, of course, is absolutely right, the market will decide. Interesting to see what it fetches, should we ever find out.

Regards, Stuart

What a price for a repro Ulster.as has been said what price a genuine one? our nippy is for sale and a lot less than a repro ulster

Re: Re: Re: replica ulster

H&H Classic Auctions telephone 01925 730630 Next Sale Buxton 21/11/07 If its a genuine Nippy why not test the market? Good Luck

RE: PL 5432

In my quest for Ulster photos from the LAT archive I have just found a photo of this car. Competing in the Sunbeam Club Speed Trials at Gatwick in 1931.

The location makes sense as PL is a Croydon plate, (as mine is).

I'll put it up on my site as soon as I get a chance.