Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brack shoe springs

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get a spring for the front brake shoes? I bought one at Beaulieu last year, but having dismantled it find I need to replace both I've tried the seven workshop, but they seem to have run out....

Re: Brack shoe springs

Oh dear, obviously I meant "brake"....Must preview before posting!

Suggest you try A7 Services at Kirby Wiske, 01845 587201. Might be worth splashing out on an axle set?

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Brack shoe springs

Do you mean the shoe return springs or the brake lever pull off springs?

If as I think, you mean the shoe return springs then to help fit them get an old screwdriver and bend the blade at about 45 degrees, then take an angle grinder and make a deep barb into the blade.
This will make the difficult job of fitting the springs much easier, as you can hook it into the hole in the spring and pull on it!

Steve

Re: Brake shoe springs

Do you mean the Austin type (BL58):

or the Girling one (1A4655):

They are available here.

David

Re: Re: Re: Brack shoe springs

Steve not sure what you mean Re the tool. Would like to know more as it sounds better that the one I have used for years.Ian

Re: Re: Brake shoe springs

See Davids picture of the Girling type spring....

The two circular "holes" wound into the spring are perfect for hooking the barb of the modified screwdriver into and giving a good strong pull to get them to hook into the shoes.

I havn't used or fitted any non Girling brakes so didnt know they are different springs!

Steve.

Thanks chaps! It is the pre-girling variety I'm looking for. I took them off by levering one brake shoe off with a screwdriver. But given the springs were weak, this might not be a good way of putitng them back on....