Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Front suspension update

Another long day in the garage! Much more productive today though!

To recap.... the problem was fitting high frame springs to a low frame chassis.

The rear now sports a short torque tube anchor which is needed to stop the hardy spicer on the prop from jamming up due to the different angle with high cambered springs. Something to watch for is that the chassis balls were different sizes so some swapping and fiddling was required to make all work OK.

The front was a problem , with the spring being twisted out of line and the radius arms not fitting up to the ball correctly as previously stated on this forum.
Following advice from forum posters I levelled the car up on its road wheels using a spirit level and a long peice of wood. The axles were then chocked up to this level, thus allowing the car to sit at ride height without wheels but with the sunspension in the loaded position. I then removed the stub axles and inserted a long half inch rod into the axle eye. The camber checked out correct at around 0 degrees but some trigonometery showed only 1.44 degrees of castor. Much less than the 5 degrees quoted?

I then twisted the radius arms as often advocated and managed to just about get 3.5 degrees of castor with a considerable twist on the arms which may well rotate back in service, so is not really a good solution. I also loosened the U bolts to allow the spring to move as required.

I have now removed the ball joint(difficult job because some idiot had welded the ball to the crossmember!) and I plan to refit the radius arms and move all forward until I get 5 degrees of castor and then make up a packing/distance piece to suit the new position of the ball joint, and refit it in the new position as advocated by several forum posters. I will then fit an angled shim to the spring to alleviate any strain in this area.

Some questions.......

Is 5 degrees about right? has anyone measured like I have?

Would it be possible to fit a different nosepiece forging from a high chassis to let everything sit in better alignment, as a better way of doing the job?

Steve.