Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
tallow

I remember a long time ago that tallow was discussed on this forum. It was at the time a discusion on lubricating/pretreating felt oil seals.

As well as oils seals it has many other uses , such as lubricating woodscrews going into hardwood. The frame is taking shape for the truck, and the wood is very hard and well seasoned, so I though about helping the screws in with some tallow. A friend of mine used to have some , but no more , whilst a search locally has not turned any up? There is some on ebay, quite cheap but I "googled" it and decided to see if it could be made?

Tallow is made from the fat around the kidneys (suet) of sheep and cattle. Basically you boil up the fatty meaty mixture and skim of all the manky meat bits. Upon solidifying you are left with tallow fat on top and some gunk underneath (like bread and dripping).

I was unsure if the butcher would have kidney fat, so hit upon a brainwave..... Atora suet, used by cooks to make puddings and dumplings. a quick look on the packet reveals that it is 85% beef suet, the rest is flour. I just sifted the flour out and melted it in a saucepan and left it to cool. The result was a slightly off white fat on top and some grey softer fat underneath. I have taken off the top fat and I reckon that this is usuable as Tallow?
Does anyone know any different? I could of course use it for oil seals as well if it is as I believe Tallow?

Perhaps I need to get out more

Steve .

Re: tallow

Steve,
Rubbing the screw on a bar of soap seems to work very well as a lubricant for hard wood.

Steve, I was getting cross lately (because I am old) but you have cheered me up! The image of you trying to make your own tallow, even though there was some on ebay "quite cheap", is extremely heartening. On the whole I am annoyed by the novels of Nevil Shute, but now I feel the urge to go and read "The Trustee from the Toolroom" again. More power to your elbow!

Regards, Stuart

Steve,

Tallow in stick form is used as a flux in the professional repair and restoration of leaded came stained-glass windows. Companies local to you involved in this type of work may be able to help.

Jeff.

Steve,

I notice that 'Toolstation' stock the same 'Monument Tools' tubs of tallow that are on eBay. They've got warehouse counters in Exeter, Yeovil, Fareham, Bridgwater and Bristol or online at toolstation.com

Jeff.

Re: Re: tallow

The last timber framed body I built, I used Waxoyl to lubricate the screws.

Drilling a pilot hole for the screw helps and using a pozi type screw in the holes initially makes them easier to get in because the driver locates better in the screw head. Once the thread in the timber is formed, replace with the slot head if it shows on the finished job.

Also beware of using stainles screws in hard wood - they tend to be soft and shear before you've got them fully home. If using stainless, use a steel screw first and replace it in stainless once the hole/thread is formed.

STEVE

Similarly, don't use brass either. Although the temptation is to use them as they won't 'rust', they are brittle and will break in use..

Re: Re: tallow

I bought my tub of tallow from Screwfix a short while ago. I expect they still stock it.
When you get older, life's too short to do it Steve's way, although I concede we all seek satisfaction in different ways!!!
Ron

Re: Re: Re: tallow

what Jeff said...
I do leaded glass work and we buy tallow in candle form (minus wick). Suggest you google, leaded glass, not stained glass as there are more people involved inleaded and you are more likely to find a local supplier. But I have to say sheep russling as a way fo getting tallow is much more interesting