Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Some more photos for your delectation

Just put up a few more photos on my site, starting to see a few "known" cars now as well. Plenty more to come!

I think this one is particularly nice, does the car still exist?

Re: Some more photos for your delectation

Not seen this one before now. It's an early Supersports (upswept scuttle) on a low frame, the bowed front axle and long rear shock absorber links being apparent. I would guess it has flattened springs all round. It's not in the A7CA lists. Any idea who the driver is?

Austin - I just have to say how wonderful these photos are you are finding. The clarity is quite superb and I'm surprised how well they stand magnification. These do deserve a wider audience and i hope your research is given that opportunity some time.

Would imagine its not in the first flush of youth.The front wings have no valance and R47 headlights have been fitted on fabricated tubes flanged to the rad shell all in the style of later cars.Its got the early exhaust manifold .Event seems to be taking place on a country house drive.Not many spectators.Wonder if No 13 was unlucky ,good job its winter otherwise the car may have boiled.In my experience work a blown car hard and they get hot very quickly.

The info I have for the vent;
1930 (August) Varsity Speed Trial Newmarket

The event is not mentioned in Beatrice's book.

Trees are very bare for August

Good point David!

The database of images is fairly shaky at times on dates. I'll mention it to them!

As a Cambridge man, I suppose I should point out no-one would be about in August - Long vac and all that... More likely to be Michealmas Term, I'd have thought - October/December. As Varsity Speed trials, this is likely to have been Cambridge University Auto Club (formed in 1902)organised - Inter-Varsity Trials took place between Oxford and Cambridge - not sure that this would even be that... I'm conducting local researches!!

Speaking from memory here but were the inter Varsity trials held at Syston?

Regards, Stuart

Your on the front page of the web site
Fantastic pics please keep it up
THE MANageMENT

The Varsity trials appear to have been held at various venues, I only looked out of interest and this jumped at me as rather a nice shot...

There are a load more coming up soon.

The Syston Intervarsity Speed Trails seem to have taken place in the month of March

Thanks for the photo. Can we have some more please!
Just checked possible venues for the photo. The CUAC seem to have held speed trials at:

Branches Park in February 1929-31. This was the home of Mrs Tonge near Newmarket.

Hexton Hall near Hitchin, in 1932 which was only used once after some wild driving, which got Adrian Conan-Doyle banned from CUAC events

Gopsall Park also near Hitchin used in 1932.

Hello Julian - fascinated at the CUAC information - where do you get this from? I've mailed the current Secretary of CUAC but am yet to get a reply. Is there a CUAC history available somewhere?

Austin,

I know I keep repeating myself (a habit I find hard to kick), but these photos are wonderful, I particularly like the one of the London to Edinburgh, box saloon parked up in the distance. I note with interest the kinked angle of the rear wing on the Ulster in the photograph as my own Ulster does exactly the same, albeit with the other wing.

I also love the ones of the amateurs racing...drivers low down, behind the dash no doubt with gritted teeth! Love it!

Cheers

Ruairidh

Hello Hugh

I don't know of a CUAC source. I have researched and compiled a large database of places associated with motor sport - speed events, trials hills and I've started on "works" which in my terms means anything from Lanchester's Armourers Mills to McClaren's Paragon site.

Ah, the things you do on wet afternoons when you're retired and its too cold to fettle your Austin.