Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brough Superior.

A Brough Superior/Watsonian combination, powered by Austin Seven engine, seen at a little local happening just ten days ago.

Mike

Re: Brough Superior.

In the pictures which I posted above, it is interesting to note the cylinder head. Note the position of the sparking plugs. Was this done for ease of maintenance on the 'bike, or is this a head that was used elsewhere. Certainly it puts the spark in a better place.

The Superior in the National Motorcycle Museum had a standard head in place when last seen. Bit of a bugger to change the plugs - perhaps the tank is easily removable?

Thoughts anyone?

Mike

It's an early Alta head. I have one fitted to my 1929 Swallow engine. Aluminium and typical combustion chamber shape for the period.

Thanks Mike. I had heard about this engine used in motorcycles but have never seen the result

Pat

Re: Re: Brough Superior.

In that case Pat here is a close up of the off side as well. Also a picture of the final drive by shaft to (I think) an A7 crownwheel and pinion between the twin rear wheels. This 'wheel' picture is of the bike in the Motorcycle Museum.

Graham, thanks for the information on the cylinder head. I presume that this would be the Alta of both car and racing engine fame. Would you think that the head would have been fitted as original equipment?

For those who have an interest the engine number of the McM machine is M111269, whilst the local machine has M148872.

I have seen a clip of movie from an Austin advertising film which shows one of these splendid bikes being demonstrated by a stunt rider. He performs some of the "Royal Signals" stunts on it!

Mike

Mike,

The Alta Car & Engineering Company Ltd was set up in January 1931 by one Geoffrey Taylor - as far as I'm aware, he and I aren't related - pity!
As well as designing / building Alta Sports and Grand Prix cars, he developed and manufactured aluminium cylinder heads for the Austin Seven, the 1920's / 30's Morris Minor, the Triumph Seven and possibly others. The company closed in 1956 with the rights to the Austin Seven head passing to V. W. Derrington of Kingston.

Jeff.

Thanks Mike; these are the best pictures I've seen of this semi-mythical creature. Just for completeness, here is a picture from "Modern Motor Cycles" Vol.1, which appears to show that the head was badged for Brough, although this could just be the work of the artist. Changing gear must have been a pretty heroic undertaking on this version! I think there is an illustration of the complete machine in Vol.3 of this publication, but I foolishly lent my copy to someone and never saw it again.

Mike,

Forgot to mention, Alta also developed / manufactured an O.H.V. conversion for the post war Issigonis sidevalve Morris MM Minor. I've been looking for one of these O.H.V. conversions for a number of years, but have so far failed to find one. If anyone happens to come across one, please let me know. The rights to this similarly passed to Derringtons.

Jeff.

Re: Re: Brough Superior.

Geoffrey Taylor, yes of course. I should have remembered that.

You also mention Vic Derrington, another blast from the past. I used to buy 'stuff' from his shop in Kingston.

Mike

Jeff - my father fitted one of these to a sidevalve Morris Minor in about 1956. I think he still has the badge that came with it somewhere. Let me know if you ever find one of these heads.

David