Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Oil Jets

I have had to remove the oil gets from my crankcase because they were both damaged although one is suitable for a pattern. I could not locate any new ones so was going to make a pair.
Does anyone know what size the hole should be? We are advised to use a 1/16 wire to clean them but the one I have has a 5/64 hole.

Re: Oil Jets

Did the 3-bearing engine jets have thinner holes? I have several sets of these new jets, so they will need drilling out. The Source Book (p. 450) mentions that from 24/3/37 (Engine No. 269660) the oil-jets were increased to 3/64" diameter.

David

Re: Re: Oil Jets

The book does indeed say increased to 3/64 and I wonder if this is a misprint for 5/64 as 3/64 is less that 1/16

Re: Re: Re: Oil Jets

You can buy new oiljets at the7 Workshop. 01225868696

Re: Oil Jets

As far as I can recall, the jets on 3 brg. engines are a smaller bore than on the 2 brg. I presume this as done in an attempt to get a better oil flow to the centre main.

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Oil Jets

Brian,

In my spreadsheet i put together working out the right size oil jets to go with an enlarged pump to get the same oil pressure as a standard system (see earlier thread) i have standard 2 bearing jets down as 3/32". This would make sense as the jets were then decreased in size to 5/64" for the 3brg.

For an enlarged pump at +0.045" the jets need to be 7/64" to get approximately the standard oil pressure (so you get higher flow and can use the original oil pressure gauge). 7/64" is as big as you can go and still fit the jet through the 1/4BSW thread in the crankcase, i am considering drilling the threads out to use wire thread inserts and fitting even bigger jets before the insert is installed, i will also use a modern gerotor type pump.

Regards

Rob

Re: Re: Re: Oil Jets

Many thanks for that Rob; that would mean that my existing jets are too small at 5/64. That still leaves a puzzle as to why only a 1/16 wire is recomended for clearing them out.
Regards
Brian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Jets

Probably only a sixteenth wire in order to get around the bend if the tubes have been bent when aiming them.

Mike