Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Roof Construction RL Box Saloon

We have an RL that was first registered in 1931, strange as that may seem, & we have started the restoration. Today I have been faced with a question that may best be answered by someone who has come across similar situations in their own restorations, hence the posting.
The leather cloth on the roof of our 7 had been sealed with bitumen, the car having been rolled by my grandfather way back. On removal of the leather cloth we found that whilst the ash strips that should run front to back had been removed & a piece of ply fitted in lieu, arrrrrgggghhhh, worse than that the front cross member, above the windscreen has been botched & the corners of same had soft wood make up pieces fitted. My question is does anyone know what should be there, as clearly the centre section is of ash or oak & looks as though the corners would have had a nicely shaped section either side. Obviously photos or sketches or anything that would help would be appreciated. I have a joiner at work who could do the work no problem but I would like to try & give him a good starter for ten as it were.
As I say any advice or help or names of people that might know would be appreciated

Re: Roof Construction RL Box Saloon

Collin, As advised by email , I have just rebuilt one If you need any more help ,having spoken to David , and seen the pictures , call me 01903504948. Mac