Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DS4 Distributor

My engine is fitted with a DS 4 distributor which incorporates a 1" diameter cut-out, evidently for the condenser. Are these old type condensers still available or does anyone have details of the dimensions and appearance so I can make up a dummy cover for the much smaller modern condenser that is currently fitted.
As always, any help is much appreciated
Regards
Brian

Re: DS4 Distributor

Brian, have you tried Tim Hodgekiss for an replacement condensor. www.vintagemotorspares.com

Re: Re: DS4 Distributor

Many thanks Birdman; I have had a look through their catalogue but they list nothing for the DS distributor and none of the condensers look like the correct type.
Regards
Brian

Re: Re: Re: DS4 Distributor

Brian

Herewith a couple of pictures of the CAV DS4 distributor, showing it's condenser, which I believe you were seeking.

Indeed these condensers are difficult to find now. I have left my defective one in place, and have wired a modern unit on the outside. I have a view that it would be possible to run the condenser at the coil end of the coil-to-distributor wire (where it would be easier to disguise) but have not had a go at this yet.

Similarly, contact sets are not available; leastways I have been unable to source any. To this end I recently fabricated a new base plate to accept a Lucas set. 423153 contact sets should be around for a bit yet, they were in vogue for a very long time with the ‘Classics’. CAV set also shown for comparison.

At least these measures keep me away from the dreaded electronics!

Mike

Hello Brian,

Even if you can find a replacement condenser, if it is a really old one, as opposed to recent manufature, it is likely to be well past its prime, as they were insulated by a waxy amalgam of paper and various other organic substances.

The originally specified condenser had a capacitance between 0.18 and 0.25 mfd.(as did all later Lucas distributors of the period in which we are interested)

I have succesfully grafted a brand new "radio" type condenser inside an old unit after extracting all the internals.( 0.22uf 400v working)

But any automotive "distributor condenser" which you can find which you can procure easily and which you can fit will do the job admirably..

I know a chap here in Australia who has actually tackled rebrazing tungsten contact faces on to unprocurable contact sets, but it would be an aweful job to tackle I think.

I do like Mike Whittome's conversion though. You will also find Distributor covers for the DS4 very hard to come by.

Don't forghet that a DJ4 or DK4A will slip straight in.

regards,

Barry R.

Many thanks for the useful replies, especially the pictures.
I have worked out that I can machine up a dummy case in which to fit the existing modern condenser and am very fortunate in that the existing points are in excellent condition and, that I managed to buy an unused, boxed set on ebay earlier this year.
Regards
Brian

Re: Re: DS4 Distributor

Oh1 Golly Gosh!

I missed the set on eBay

Mike