Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Balls

Hi all,

I am in the process of rebuilding the speedo and rev counter for my ulster rep. I am making the correct instruments up out of a number of scrap speedos. I have calculated the turns per mile i need for the odometer and by some luck have the correct worms and wheels to make the odometer count correctly. I will need to fiddle with springs to get the correct stiffness for the 100mph speedo but i think i have the correct one for the rev counter.

The smiths speedos with the angle drive in the back have ball bearings top and bottom of the input shaft which are made up from bespoke races and balls with no cage. Since they are ~80 years old and had managed to fall apart in service i thought it would be a good idea to replace the balls. They are 1/8" at the bottom and 1/16" at the top, later speedos had 1/16" both ends but the way the bearings fit and can be adjusted 1.5mm and 3mm balls would be fine. I walked into my local bearing supplier (quite a sizable company with a number of trade counters in the midlands) only to be told they do not stock loose balls and could not get them for me. Any ideas where i could get some??

PS does anybody have a flanged - rope edge bezel without a cut out for a trip counter they could sell me???

Regards

Rob

Re: Balls

Rob, I have various sizes of stainless steel balls and will check up when I get home this afternoon. How many of each do you need?
A good source of loose balls are the various model engineers suppliers such as Blackgates. Model engineers use then in check valves.
Regards
Brian

Re: Balls

Rob,
Try Vintage Restorations on 01892 525899 for balls and rim. David

Re: Re: Balls

Rob, last time I wanted some small balls, the local cycle dealer had plenty of stock. They also stocked balls to fit three speed release bearings. Blackgates mentioned above are local to me and I use them often. They can be a bit expensive, however.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Balls

Cheers gents,

Have managed to find a few 1/8th balls in uni, with a bit of juggling i should be ok. Will have a close look at the 1/6th balls i have to see if enough are usable.

Might have found a suitable bezel too - Cheers David.

Any other suggestions / offers of a bezel greatfully recieved.

Regards

Rob

Re: Re: Re: Re: Balls

1/16" steel balls are available at modest price (e.g. £4.03 for 50 pack) from Simply Bearings the this rather long address...

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=1%2F16+hardened+ball&sort=2a

The size of ball in a race is a design feature of that race. Putting in 'twice-size' balls (1/8") is not really an option, and it may even be - probably is - dimensionally impossible to get a full circle in place.

If you have lost some of the original balls it is percieved wisdom to strip and wash out the speedometer cable as these tiny balls can get down the length and cause damage.

Mike