Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sump Strainer

The stainer that I removed from the car (1929) was of a much finer mesh that the replacement I have just bought.
Can anyone advise how fine the mesh should be?
Regards
Brian Hutchings

Re: Sump Strainer

Hello Brian,
The mesh size doesn't really matter! Its only there to stop the big bits,like, nuts and bolts and the odd cigarette end getting into the sump and then into the oil pump. The racing boys did away with them all together.
Regards
John

Re: Re: Sump Strainer

Many thanks John for the graphic description!; I'll crack on and fit it.

Re: Re: Re: Sump Strainer

The size of the mesh needs to be sufficient to let the oil fall through but not too many big bits.

Having recently expolded a piston, some of the bits of which punched holes in the gauze, I was quite amazed to note how many bits the holed gauze actually caught.

Worry not.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sump Strainer

Perhaps not all the racing boys, John. Many here fitted a thick aluminium plate which helped stiffen up the crankcase. When racing, I fitted the sump strainer from my '23, which to those unfamiliar is not like the standard strainer Brian and others have fitted. Instead of the flat skeleton frame covered overall with mesh the early cars had a tin slightly-concave solid dish with three circular tin "wells" along it's length, the sides of each well being the only parts covered with mesh. Apart from the slight stiffening effect, one could not invent a better anti-surge device. Today's trivia. Cheers, Bill in Oz