Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Radiator replacement

Dispite my earlier effort with the use of Radweld it appears that my radiator is still slightly leaking. The rad' looks to be in good order and an earlier invoice to the previous owner shows an earlier repair. It seems this earlier repair was of poor quality perhaps as it is leaking near the drain tap area. I wonder if it would be cheaper to fit a new/ reconditioned radiator rather than have my one repaired? Any thoughts / experiences gratefully recieved.

Re: Radiator replacement

Some radiator repair firms are rather reluctant to repair 'old' radiators as the repair of one leak can lead to the start of another etc. etc.

Notwithstanding this, however, I'd always have a go at getting a repair done as new rads to traditional patterns aren't cheap. However, I recall you have a Swallow. Am I right in thinking that the rad is the normal shape but covered by the Swallow grill?

If so, why not have it replaced with a modern film core soldered into the existing top and bottom tanks assuming they are in decent condition. I had one done this way for my Trials Chummy in the Summer. Cost £112 for a 'fit and forget' option.

STEVE

Hi Steve, thank you for comments. Yes it is I who has an Swallow saloon and you are correct, it has an false honeycomb grill over the standard A7 radiator. I am taking the rad' out next week and have been recommended to take it to a local(ish) company dealing with radiators. I will certainly mention to them about re-using the top/lower tanks to a modern core.At 112 pounds that sounds an excellent solution, as you suggest the existing core could be just old and worn out. I let you know the outcome.

Re: Re: Radiator replacement

Steve,

Any suggestions as to the best place to have this done close to Doncaster? The same job was done just before I bought the Cup- but the fan bush gave up the ghost and decided to put a nice neat hole in the core (so they might try a repair)... Wolseley actually needs the same job doing too, but it's core definately won't face another repair...

Justin.

Eventually managed to remove the radiator, a lot more involved than I had imagined taking my Bro' and I a good few hours! Took it into East Anglia Rad' services today and await the verdict. I have already mentioned that I would accept a modern style core after the chap mentioned that if I want to replace like with like 'it would cost a heck of a lot of money'. I figure that in this instance what the eye cannot see the heart won't grieve. But oh for an open cheque book!

My radiator has now been tested and sprung leaks in several areas of the core, but at least the top and lower tanks are OK. New modern core into existing tanks 246 pounds + tax mans share

Pop go'es my exterior driving mirror purchase for a couple of months

Birdman,

I could be wrong, but at that price, I would be expecting and original type core. Last Modern core I was asked to do came in at just over £100.

Just an observation before you head in...

Cheers

Ruairidh

I would tend to agree with Ruairidh.

Oh no! I had'nt realized that you could do this work for me 'R'. Being new to A7 I have still a lot to learn. I have just telephoned 'my' rad' repair man to cancel, but they said they have already started the job. Blast