Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Number plates

My original plate was of the AB 1234 style. This was sold off in 1996 to someone presumably with the correct initials and replaced with an ABC 123 style plate.
I am thinking of tackling the DVLC with a question as to whether it is possible to get a more correct AB 1234 style plate. obviously not for financial gain as it would be non transferrable and am quite happy for it to be ZZ or XY if you know what I mean. Does anyone have any experience of trying this?

Re: Number plates

Hi Andy, nice idea but IIRC once a vehicle has been issued with an alternative number I'm afraid your stuck with it. The only possible exception to this is if the original plate became available then you could purchase this back and then the original plate then becomes non transferable.

Andy B, I agree with Birdman, you will have to BUY a number plate of the AB 1234 style, careful looking around will find some under a £1,500 (UV 4457 at £1,245 on http://www.regtransfers.co.uk ) however most seem to be over £2,000.

Do remember the transfer rules that vehicles have to be MoT'd etc, etc - Full details can be viewed at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_4022576.

Also if there is any query DVLA don't want to know, they refer you to the police - I have a case ongoing for a number that was transferred from a 'wreck', but apparently was declared as having a MOT cert.

Sandy

Its quite simple to do this. Let the tax lapse, and declare the car scrapped.

throw away the number plates you have and forget the V5.

Then normally apply for an age related number in the usual way, making out you dont have a V5. You'll get a BS XXXX or something, but it will work.

thanks Hedd
are there no drawbacks to that, sounds too good to be true?

Hi, nice idea but unless your car is 1930 or earlier then you will most likely find you end up with 3 letters 3 numbers as DVLA have reserved the 2 letter 4 numbers for cars of 1930 or earlier.

Hi

I am bit unclear on this.

If I have a car with a non-transferable age-related number, does this stop me buying a more suitable old number and putting it on the car instead of the non-transferrable one?

(Presumably, if this is allowed, the non-tranferable number would just disappear, or would the DVLA take it back?)

Regards

Colin

First Malcolm - The 3 letters 3 numbers are exhausted, it's now 3 numbers and 3 letters, like say 123 UXT.

Colin, The number that is non-transferrable is that, you cannot transfer it to another vehicle, however you can have another number applied to the car if you want. I'm not sure though whether the non-transferable number is then wiped from the records, or if you choose to sell off the replacement number you can then reapply for the non-transferable number to be put back on that car - The local DVLA office were unclear on this one too, or more likely did not want to get involved, I was offered an appointment and to bring all my details with me for this query on a friend's car, I only go so far in trying to find out info. that would have been a journey to far.

Sandy

Hi ,Hedd, I am not sure about your Riske advice about getting an age related no. If you really did all that and then applied for an age related number I cannot see how it would work. I have just been through getting a car a n age related no. Firstly I had to get it insured, then MOT'd on the chassis no. then take it to be inspected at a DVLA centre. they inspected the chassis and body plates, and fill in an application and appear in person as the registered keeper and prove it was me! and pay money!!!