Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1927 Supersports

I'm just starting this thread as a header in an attempt to draw out any information about the supersports model.

My first question would be how many cars were produced, other than the five which are suggested in the sourcebook. With the wealth of knowledge available to this site I wonder if any information is available??

Thanks.
Damian.

Re: 1927 Supersports

Not sure if you saw this thread? A lovely photo of a SuperSports, (not sure of the year - I get confused by the different models!)

So would that car (UV1676) be one of the five works cars or evidence that there were a number of production vehicles? If it was one of a number of production cars, how many still exist, and when was the last one produced?

A fantastic image, by the way.

Damian.

Dont confuse the Works 1929 TT cars with Supersports they are very different.As far as I am aware the SS was a semi production car.As to how many were made from 1927 I would hazard a guess at about 15.They were still being made in 1929 see Austin Ledgers.I am aware of 3 extant,one being very rebuilt,and two engines.It appears that not all SS were supercharged.

So were they unpopular, or unavailable?

Damian,

Here is one for your list www.7ca.co.uk

Dave Griffith.

Pretty sure its a replica,there are at least 4 other replicas

Re: Re: 1927 Supersports

Yes, it is a replica. Andy Hastings in Nottingham built a small run of replica Super Sports bodies about 10 years ago all being built up into cars. One is owned by Andy himself, one was built up by Malcolm Parker and subsequently sold to Nigel Snow and another went to Jon Mellor who uses it for VSCC trials (it finished 2nd O/A in the VSCC Trials Championship this year). The benefit of a Super Sports body over the more common Ulster as a trials car is that it is slightly wider giving more room for 'movement' in the cockpit.

STEVE

UV 1676.
I hadn't realized that the Super Sports with upturned scuttle remained in production for so long. UV 1676 was registered in August 1929. Was it assembled with a low frame at the factory? It seems to pre-date the production Ulster.

Re: Re: 1927 Supersports

To support David - there were certainly more than 5 as in Source. One with 6 stamped into the tunnel and which has a full racing history in Australia from new is now located in UK. This does not include Waite's 1928 Aust. Grand Prix-winning car which had a different body with tail similar to the later '29 cars. Several contemporary references and photos show road-going unblown versions of the '27 type. How many were made in each batch is interesting as there is a definite difference between some of the tail shapes. Cheers, Bill in Oz